Mud turtles and UVB?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have read that many mud turtles do NOT bask and that their need for UVB is significantly less that other turtles (which does NOT make a lot of sense to me, actually).
I do NOT have a UVB light set up on my mud turtle's tank (long story) but was OK with that since I knew she was getting vitamin D from her Hikari Sinking Wafers. But now I'm giving her more and more "real" food and she is increasingly reluctant to eat her sinking wafers.

SO the question is: can a mud turtle be healthy WITHOUT UVB light or a vitamin D supplement?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

(Just so you know, I want to hang a UVB light from the wall but hubby does NOT want holes drilled in the wall. That seems silly to me, but I've been surprised about how strongly he feels about this. o_O)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Mud turtles do bask. Unless your turtle gets outdoor time, you need a basking area with UVB. I prefer to use mercury vapor bulbs for basking areas as they provide heat as well.
How much outside time, and how often is recommended, do you think?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Mud and musk turtles get a lot ad their D3 from diet. They do also use uvb but more in a floating style basking. UVB does penetrate water quite well. Hanging in plants near the sorface or in shallow water they will stretch their neck and front legs to absorb. Just as we've discussed with tortoises, a few hours a week of good exposure is enough uvb

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
How much outside time, and how often is recommended, do you think?

I think what has worked well is 30 mins a few times a week. I believe around 2-4pm was the best time for UVB exposure. Maybe set up a shallow kiddie pool outside with a basking log and plenty of hiding spots and let him spend a few afternoons a week outside. If you decide this route, be careful about overheating. You might need to experiment with putting the enclosure in part shade or adding water plants. Shallow water can really heat up in full sun.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think what has worked well is 30 mins a few times a week. I believe around 2-4pm was the best time for UVB exposure. Maybe set up a shallow kiddie pool outside with a basking log and plenty of hiding spots and let him spend a few afternoons a week outside. If you decide this route, be careful about overheating. You might need to experiment with putting the enclosure in part shade or adding water plants. Shallow water can really heat up in full sun.
Thank you so much!!! I hadn't considered a kiddie pool!!!! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Mud and musk turtles get a lot ad their D3 from diet. They do also use uvb but more in a floating style basking. UVB does penetrate water quite well. Hanging in plants near the sorface or in shallow water they will stretch their neck and front legs to absorb. Just as we've discussed with tortoises, a few hours a week of good exposure is enough uvb
Thanks again!!! :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Agree, be careful when leaving any small turtle outside. Beware of both overheating and predators.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree, be careful when leaving any small turtle outside. Beware of both overheating and predators.
I use a kiddie pool often with all my hatchlings. they do so much better with natural sunlight. I have found that with water 3-4" deep and on a 107f day, the water temperature never gets up above 88f. Evaporation seems to cool it. I check it constantly as I am concerned about overheating, but I have never had it overheat. An aquarium will, a black cement mixing tub will, but I've never had the kiddie pool overheat set up this way. Had anyone else checked theirs? What do you get?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Agree here as well. It's not as if a mud turtle requires hours and hours of exposure every day. A decent light fixture that you can obtain from an aquarium or pet store with an appropriate bulb is just fine. I also incorporate a spotlight at times for warmth as my aquariums are inside where there is air conditioning.

Here is a photo of a very old striped mud turtle basking on a river in north Florida.
017_zpserlzoyjf.jpg

Here is a photo of some of my aquariums with their lighting.
DSCN4251_zpspwjtqhtl.jpg

This is one of my older, smaller tanks. Photo is from a few years ago.
DSCN1044_zps0d4f46a3.jpg

Another older photo
DSC05369.jpg

"Oh yes, we bask!"
baskingPargo.jpg

PargobaskingII.jpg

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I use a kiddie pool often with all my hatchlings. they do so much better with natural sunlight. I have found that with water 3-4" deep and on a 107f day, the water temperature never gets up above 88f. Evaporation seems to cool it. I check it constantly as I am concerned about overheating, but I have never had it overheat. An aquarium will, a black cement mixing tub will, but I've never had the kiddie pool overheat set up this way. Had anyone else checked theirs? What do you get?

Ive actually only ever used Rubbermaids for hatchlings outdoors. If those are left unsupervised, they can get into the hundreds. Nice to know about the kiddie pools.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Agree here as well. It's not as if a mud turtle requires hours and hours of exposure every day. A decent light fixture that you can obtain from an aquarium or pet store with an appropriate bulb is just fine. I also incorporate a spotlight at times for warmth as my aquariums are inside where there is air conditioning.

Here is a photo of a very old striped mud turtle basking on a river in north Florida.
017_zpserlzoyjf.jpg

DSCN4251_zpspwjtqhtl.jpg

DSCN1044_zps0d4f46a3.jpg

Another older photo
DSC05369.jpg

"Oh yes, we bask!"
baskingPargo.jpg

PargobaskingII.jpg
LOVE these!!!!! :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
@cdmay - do the turtles ever climb all the way up the driftwood? I like the look but am paranoid they'll just climb right out. My striped mud turtles are all around 1.5 inches.
Good questions. Thanks for asking. YES!..little muddies will indeed climb up and out of an aquarium via the driftwood!
But larger, heavier and bulkier turtles cannot. Or don't bother to try.
Use common sense in your enclosures...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

017_zpserlzoyjf.jpg

DSCN4251_zpspwjtqhtl.jpg

DSCN1044_zps0d4f46a3.jpg

Another older photo
DSC05369.jpg

"Oh yes, we bask!"
baskingPargo.jpg

PargobaskingII.jpg

So is that plexiglass that is making the dry areas at the end of the tanks?
How do you affix the plexiglass into place?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA