Turning an old bookcase into a tortoise table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mues155

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
I have a few bookcases laying around gathering dust and was wondering if it would be ok to turn them into a tortoise table for an eastern Hermann's.
It would be a great size I think, measuring at 6' x 3' x 12".
I would re enforce or just replace the back since they are just the cheap plywood veneer bookcases you would buy at walmart. I'm sure you are all pretty familiar with the cardboardy backing they use on these.
And I would probably just line the inside with a type of plastic tarping in case water gets spilled.

Anyways would anything be a cause for concern when using this type of bookcase?
Thought it would be a great way to recycle an old bookcase to make a nice little tort table :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is a great size!
If you are going to leave it on a solid table, you can use the cheap backing and just line it, because you won't be moving it.
But that seems impractical to me, so replacing the backing seems wise; 1/2" low grade interior plywood would work, as long as you line it.

Here is a nice tutorial by one of our members:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-71260.html

mues155

5 Year Member
North Dakota
lynnedit said:
That is a great size!
If you are going to leave it on a solid table, you can use the cheap backing and just line it, because you won't be moving it.
But that seems impractical to me, so replacing the backing seems wise; 1/2" low grade interior plywood would work, as long as you line it.

Here is a nice tutorial by one of our members:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-71260.html

Oh wow thanks for that link!
What an awesome idea of sinking the tub for extra digging!
I'm so excited to be apart of this forum and be shown all of these very helpful links and examples! My future tort will be so happy and healthy because of the knowledge you guys provide.

I was just sitting around looking at my living room trying to decide on an easy and money saving way of making my own table. Bookcase seems like a winner. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.