Need some help please

debz

Location (City and/or State)
Wales / UK
We are going to make a tortoise table using an upturned bookcase with beep side its L 108 W 76 D 30
we have 1 Herman's tort.
we want to use it in the conservatory during the day unless its warm enough for him to go outside .
will it be to cold out there for him we keep a heater on for our rabbit plus we will get a heat lamp and strip light for sparti ( our tort ) We live in the UK.
Also i think we need to line it before substrate goes in right ? what type of liner is safe to use please.
What type of heat lamp/ strip light would be best to use please ?
sorry for all the questions but i would prefer to ask and know we are doing thing properly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If those dimensions are in cm, then that is too small for an adult hermanni. The sides will also be too short once you add substrate. I prefer a minimum of 244x122cm with walls at least 40cm high. I use a full sheet of plywood and just put walls on it.

Some people use pond liners, shower curtains, or plastic drop cloth, to line their tables. Other people prime and paint with an exterior grade paint. They make paint for kitchen counters and back splashes that is non-toxic and stands up to moisture better too.

A regular 100 watt flood bulb from the hardware store should provide enough heat, and look into Arcadia HO tubes for light and UV.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Debz

I agree with Tom. Your Hermann's is no baby and needs something approaching 1.5x2.2 metres floor area. An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner makes a good table.

The problem with a conservatory is temperature stability. Your tort will still need a basking lamp and UVB lamp out there (UVB doesn't pass through glass)

At night it will get too cold, especially in the winter months. Unless the conservatory is heated, it will probably be too cold by day too. You need an ambient room temperature around 18C by day.

If the sun comes out, conservatories get too hot.

We have a conservatory and we do use it for Joe, but only as a stop gap in spring and autumn. The rest of the time he is in hibernation or outdoors. We have underfloor heating in ours which is on whenever Joe is in residence.

Have you seen this about outdoor accommodation for UK torts?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

debz

Wales / UK
Thank you both
He will only be out in conservatory for a few hours in the day in summer time I know winter would be to cold for him.
When warm enough he will be outside but as we live in the UK it want be as often as I would like.
Basically this is just a stop gap for him.
We are just trying to find a safe place to keep him for short periods.
I will take a look at the link and I appreciate all the advise offered, there is just so much info and knowing trust worthy sites like this 1 makes a big difference

debz

Wales / UK
Hi Debz

I agree with Tom. Your Hermann's is no baby and needs something approaching 1.5x2.2 metres floor area. An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner makes a good table.

The problem with a conservatory is temperature stability. Your tort will still need a basking lamp and UVB lamp out there (UVB doesn't pass through glass)

At night it will get too cold, especially in the winter months. Unless the conservatory is heated, it will probably be too cold by day too. You need an ambient room temperature around 18C by day.

If the sun comes out, conservatories get too hot.

We have a conservatory and we do use it for Joe, but only as a stop gap in spring and autumn. The rest of the time he is in hibernation or outdoors. We have underfloor heating in ours which is on whenever Joe is in residence.

Have you seen this about outdoor accommodation for UK torts?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
Hi, The book case is 6ft 5in length w 78 D 29 took measurements to check .
will that be to small for a short length of time for him he is 7.
I cant open the link that was sent to have a look?

debz

Wales / UK
I opened the link, not sure why i couldn't earlier ?
I have seen your post before its great i hope you don't me pinching some of your idea's to try and improve things for Spartacus.