TTBT male to female ratio help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyWil555

5 Year Member
I was planning on adopting a male TTBT that is at least 12 years old as a companion for my 15 year old female. Her enclosure is 4'x6' with lots of plants and hiding places. I am reading that a 1:1 ratio isn't recommended. Is this a bad idea? Do the males' sex drive decrease with age? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes it is a bad idea. She does not want or need a companion. The newcomer will not be seen as a buddy. It will be seen as an interloper and competitor. Once the male settles in, then the harassment will likely start. Males can be relentless. To have more than one you need a much larger enclosure with lots of plants, nooks and crannies, plenty of sight barriers, and multiple females to one male.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
AshleyWil555 said:
I was planning on adopting a male TTBT that is at least 12 years old as a companion for my 15 year old female. Her enclosure is 4'x6' with lots of plants and hiding places. I am reading that a 1:1 ratio isn't recommended. Is this a bad idea? Do the males' sex drive decrease with age? Thanks!

A 12 year old will still have plenty of good sex drive years.

I don't think the 1:1 would cause you any real issues, but it would be a good idea to have a back up plan, like another enclosure in case you need to separate them.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Does any male species have a sex drive that diminishes with age? Lol! !! I would recommend a 3.1. Or 4.1 ratio. And allow a bigger enclosure. The reason for this is b/c the male will mount the female many times and could basically kill the female. You need a space large enough for them to get away and hide. Plus having more turtles is AWESOME!!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
AshleyWil555 said:

Really, a healthy tortoise's "drive" continues as long as he's breathing...and a 12 -yo is barely started, because they can live over 100 years.

And a 1m/1f ratio isn't a great idea, but 1m/2f will be OK, but only in a large enclosure..8'L X 5'W X 2.5' is good for up to 3 or 4, as long as it's well-planted, w/ several good hidespots. .

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think you'll be OK. My easterns are very gregarious, and seem to like to interact with each other. I even have males together, and see very little in the way of overt agression between them.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I have always kept box turtles in the normal ratio ( meaning average for most populations ) which is 1:1. Though many people claim that keeping them at this ratio isn't good. It is how they occur in nature generally though there are populations shifted to one gender or the other it is more common that there are more females then males. Which is similar to animals with genetically controlled gender. Though I would not suggest keeping them in a male shifted ratio.

Those who have tortoises the Terrapene are very different. They are not territorial like many tortoise males and their interest in sex varies greatly over the season. The main peek being in the early spring and again in late summer/ early fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.