Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I took in 1.1 G.denticulata from one of their confiscations a few years ago, but they were too sick to save. Tried everything.

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
I took in 1.1 G.denticulata from one of their confiscations a few years ago, but they were too sick to save. Tried everything.

Yvonne

Dang, sorry to hear that.

maggie3fan said:

Whoo hooo! I am sure there are few more lurking on here!

Has anyone else taken in tortoises/turtles throught the TSA?

I am a TSA newbie. I thought about joining 2 years ago, but never got around to it. I am glad to be a member and I suggest any tortoiseforum members to join the TSA!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
gummybearpoop said:

I'm on the list for Manouria and Yellowfoot. But so far the only Manouria they've had to adopt out went to folks in Florida. Have to admit, its much better weather in Florida for Manouria.

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
gummybearpoop said:

I'm on the list for Manouria and Yellowfoot. But so far the only Manouria they've had to adopt out went to folks in Florida. Have to admit, its much better weather in Florida for Manouria.

Yvonne

Yvonne

How do you get on the list for certain species?

I would love to work with Manouria and other tropicals, but it is so hot and dry in Arizona. I try to keep tortoises that I can keep outside for the majority of the year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can join whichever groups inside the TSA that you want to. I can't remember what they're called, but each group of tortoise types has a "committee" of folks who manage that type. A while back they were asking for people to help them out with the management of the "committees." I guess you can contact Rick Hudson and ask him to send you a list of them.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I thought only one person was "in-charge" of each taxon management group and they all formed the "committee". :D

Danny

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
You can join whichever groups inside the TSA that you want to. I can't remember what they're called, but each group of tortoise types has a "committee" of folks who manage that type. A while back they were asking for people to help them out with the management of the "committees." I guess you can contact Rick Hudson and ask him to send you a list of them.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
egyptiandan said:
I thought only one person was "in-charge" of each taxon management group and they all formed the "committee". :D

Danny

That's what was inside my head as I replied to the post. Didn't mean to imply that the committee was in charge. I really considered signing up to head up a group, but decided my lifestyle didn't lend itself to doing so.

Yvonne

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
TSA Taxon Management Groups. Zoos have them and the TSA kind of models them after that... to an extent.

emysemys said:

Yvonne

As far as I know there is only one Taxon manager per species but they do 'work' for the TSA. I'm sure certain adoptions do have to be reviewed and approved.

The idea is to try and set up species servival plans... again... zoos also have SSPs.

This started as a dream and you can't imagine the logistics of trying to involve the private sector. Most of the surplus goes to the private sector for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.