Translucent tortoise enclosure

KASHYAPDROP

Location (City and/or State)
Greer, South Carolina
I'm considering upgrading my baby Hermann's tortoise to a larger, more spacious enclosure that's translucent. Would the translucency of the enclosure possibly bother my Hermann's tortoise?
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 7.36.49 PM.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would the translucency of the enclosure possibly bother my Hermann's tortoise?
No, and neither will a glass enclosure that is completely see through. That is an old persistent myth. The problem with glass tanks is that they are too small for anything but a hatchling, and the open tops let all the heat and humidity out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't agree with Tom here, because a HIDE is somewhere dark. How would you like to hide in a see-through closet??? 🙄 Sheesh! I would feel visible, exposed and vulnerable.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't agree with Tom here, because a HIDE is somewhere dark. How would you like to hide in a see-through closet??? 🙄 Sheesh! I would feel visible, exposed and vulnerable.
Tammy! Are you really...???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She's asking about an enclosure, not a hide. All tortoises need a dark hide, but the enclosure can be translucent or see through. They like to see out and we like to see in.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She's asking about an enclosure, not a hide. All tortoises need a dark hide, but the enclosure can be translucent or see through. They like to see out and we like to see in.
Oh right!!! Sorry for my mistake 😞! Of course.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
No, and neither will a glass enclosure that is completely see through. That is an old persistent myth. The problem with glass tanks is that they are too small for anything but a hatchling, and the open tops let all the heat and humidity out.
Oooo it’s interesting to read this! Cause we’re currently in the process of setting up a huge new viv for our red foot, she’s going to be on ground level which she hasn’t been before, so we were worried whether her looking out at the floor would frustrate her through the glass front, we have some vinyl we were going to put a strip of along the outside of the glass, to go just above her eye level, it would look better without it though so debating whether to just monitor how she behaves?
Though It’s that and we do have a little dog who will likely be looking in at her from time to time and running past🥲so was also thinking it’d stop her looking in so easily and potentially stressing the tort out lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oooo it’s interesting to read this! Cause we’re currently in the process of setting up a huge new viv for our red foot, she’s going to be on ground level which she hasn’t been before, so we were worried whether her looking out at the floor would frustrate her through the glass front, we have some vinyl we were going to put a strip of along the outside of the glass, to go just above her eye level, it would look better without it though so debating whether to just monitor how she behaves?
Though It’s that and we do have a little dog who will likely be looking in at her from time to time and running past🥲so was also thinking it’d stop her looking in so easily and potentially stressing the tort out lol
Better to have it up off the floor for heating. Its colder down there.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Better to have it up off the floor for heating. Its colder down there.
It’s very well insulated and we’re struggling for any kind of stand/table for the size and weight it is
We’ve been doing the heating the last few days though and the levels are looking good. Too warm one end if anything, we keep finding 150w causes a hot spot for us, but it’s a set 2ft height so can’t raise the bulb anymore, the 100w seems to do a better job for the ground temps and isn’t creating a hot spot, but as we already have the 150 I’m going to pop a spare hide under it for now I think🙂

*edit* when I say ‘too warm’ I mean just that one spot, the 150 is doing good keeping the whole one side a nice temp, then a 100 the other is doing great

Reactions: Tom