Tracking device on a tortoise?

Geng

5 Year Member
Hello guys,

Me and my girlfriend just moved to our new house with a garden. I brought my Russian tortoise (male, around 8 years old) with me, so he can finally enjoy outdoor and roaming time in our garden.

At my new home I want to make a escape proof enclosure for him. I am also a control freak, so I want to track my tortoise when I'm away from home or in case he does succeed in escaping.

I am thinking about getting an Apple Airtag and strap it around his shell with a rubber band (not too tight). Will this do any harm to my tortoise? Will it interupt his shell growth, UV intake or cause injury what so ever?

Kind regards,

Geng

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It won't stay on with a rubber band.

Just make the enclosure escape proof. Wall it in on all sides with welded wire.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some others have used a type of glue to secure it. Just be sure it's on a scute and not the lines between each scute.

Mr Mortimer

Whitstable
Hello guys,

Me and my girlfriend just moved to our new house with a garden. I brought my Russian tortoise (male, around 8 years old) with me, so he can finally enjoy outdoor and roaming time in our garden.

At my new home I want to make a escape proof enclosure for him. I am also a control freak, so I want to track my tortoise when I'm away from home or in case he does succeed in escaping.

I am thinking about getting an Apple Airtag and strap it around his shell with a rubber band (not too tight). Will this do any harm to my tortoise? Will it interupt his shell growth, UV intake or cause injury what so ever?

Kind regards,

Geng
Morning
We’ve used an AirTag on our Horsefield
For the last 2 years
We use very low tack tape. Doesn’t mark him and he has never been bothered by it
He did however manage to get through a very small gap once and knocked it off.
We found him in the next doors garden !!
Hope he enjoys his new garden.