Tortoises switched roles after changing cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
I temporarily housed my 2 Russians in an aquarium while I built a tortoise table. One was active and the other was kinda chill. Now that I've put them in their new table they've switched roles. Could the new environment be affecting them that much?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
My females did the same when I got them. The previous owner said that 'Jill' was very shy and hid all the time. Now she is the dominant tortoise.

If one of your tortoises is a lot less active than he/she used to be, keep an eye on it, just to make sure it isn't due to illness. Are the basking temps right?

AcidElvis said:
I temporarily housed my 2 Russians in an aquarium while I built a tortoise table. One was active and the other was kinda chill. Now that I've put them in their new table they've switched roles. Could the new environment be affecting them that much?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some take changes differently. Be sure to keep a close eye on them. Two Russians in one enclosure usually isn't a good thing. Bullying will probably start soon.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
The temps should be fine. I'm using the same lights and they are still staying under the heat lamps. Just a little odd.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
someone else is going to comment on this saying the same thing.....you should not keep a pair a Russians. there are exceptions, obviously, but yours are DEFINITELY showing the beginning signs of just...not liking each other.

you say one has always been "shy" and one has always been "active"....that is not their different personalities, it is bullying. the shy one would rather hide than deal with the other one. not every case of bullying involves biting or any kind of aggression. i highly suggest you separate them, then you will see their true personalities :) i had this same problem, i am not preaching something i have no experience with and the last thing you want to see is a chunk missing from one of their back legs one day...

Status
Not open for further replies.