Tortoises in Oregon? Outdoor enclosure recommendations?

Stu Wobbe

Location (City and/or State)
Happy Valley, Oregon
Hi all, I recently adopted a good size female Russian Tortoise for me and my 3 boys to take care of. Only had her for 2 days now.

We rescued one last summer that was seen in our neighborhood roaming freely and we eventually found its owners, but for the week or so that we had it the kids were enamored with it. So when one was available for adoption we decided to go for it.

The previous owner had her for quite a long time (not positive on exact time though) She's about 9" from front to back of shell. Seems to be in great health (planning vet trip soon, any recommendations for Clackamas County, OR?) and eats a variety of greens readily. Going to try some of succulents that I have planted in my rock garden as well. We started her out with some dandelion leaves and spring mix salad, and will be planting a variety of other leafy greens to grow out for us and her.

One thing I did want to ask is if there was anyone here that could give me advice on an outdoor summer enclosure for a Russian Tortoise suitable for Oregon? I have a neighbor with one (the one we found last summer) but they obviously don't have a very good outdoor pen if I found it wandering the streets, lol.

Anyways, looking forward to lots more posts here and utilizing your resources to help inform my boys and I on tortoise related things.

Cheers!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Stu
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490380291.641862.jpg
Don't think a tort don't do anything . Yes they eat , sleep , and mate ! But they have plenty of time to look for ways out . And if they don't find one then they dig out . I have a few Russians and every so often I see one out in the yard . So I have to plug me a hole . But I still love my torts ! But I would inspect your friends enclosure and improve on it . By the way I have a brick wall around my yard so when one gets out of my 11 enclosures he's soon found in the yard . Good luck and have a great day! :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Greetings from Eugene. We have 6 red foots, they aren't really escape artists, but Russians are. They will climb corners like an awkward shelled squirrel. A lot of people make what essentially look like raised garden beds with capped edges so the sneaky torts can't climb over. You may also need to bury it a little to prevent digging. If they can see daylight under the boards they will dig.

You can extend the usefulness of an outdoor enclosure here in OR by adding a heated night box that a cold tort can retreat to. @Tom has amazingly detailed instructions on his design that I'm sure he can share if they are suitable to your Russian.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your new Russian tortoise will hibernate, so it can live outside the whole time it's awake. Make the walls tall enough so that the tortoise can't reach the top with his "fingertips" if he stands up on his back tippy toes. I like to place rectangular stepping stones around at the bottom to discourage digging. Some tortoises are very adept at using the corners to climb - positioning one sides' legs on one wall and the other sides' legs on the other wall.

Stu Wobbe

Happy Valley, Oregon
Thanks for the replies :) Been a while since I've been back here, lol. We never did get the outdoor pen done this summer but hopefully a project for next summer. I did manage to get an indoor tortoise table made up to hold us off until we get the outdoor setup done.
"
It has a large Mercury vapor bulb on a swing arm over the top so I can adjust height and location. The interior measures about 48"x48" and the sides are 12" high. Planning on adding much more soil/coco mix then planting with succulents I can thin out from my garden areas.

Would love suggestions, pointers, and critiques on it :) Thanks!

Attachments

• tortoise table.jpg
    tortoise table.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 19

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and welcome back.
Did you ever read https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
or https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ ?
Firstly, I'm afraid it's much to small, Russian tortoises need a bare minimum of 4' by 8' in order to have room to exercise properly to keep fit, feel they have a territory and be able to digest their food properly.
I can't see a water dish?
A cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate and big enough for the tortoise to soak in is ideal.
And if you put the food on a piece of rough slate, sandstone or even the reverse side of a tile it will help keep the substrate off the food and help keep the tortoise's beak trimmed too.

Stu Wobbe

Happy Valley, Oregon
Hello, and welcome back.
Did you ever read https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
or https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ ?
Firstly, I'm afraid it's much to small, Russian tortoises need a bare minimum of 4' by 8' in order to have room to exercise properly to keep fit, feel they have a territory and be able to digest their food properly.
I can't see a water dish?
A cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate and big enough for the tortoise to soak in is ideal.
And if you put the food on a piece of rough slate, sandstone or even the reverse side of a tile it will help keep the substrate off the food and help keep the tortoise's beak trimmed too.

Thanks! Those are some of the things I've read so far just browsing here that I'm planning to implement :) I'm also planning to add a second table of equal size on a slight elevation with ramp once I find a used book shelf or similar sized table to covert for use in conjunction with this one. Also working on an outdoor enclosure for next summer in the garden :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks! Those are some of the things I've read so far just browsing here that I'm planning to implement :) I'm also planning to add a second table of equal size on a slight elevation with ramp once I find a used book shelf or similar sized table to covert for use in conjunction with this one. Also working on an outdoor enclosure for next summer in the garden :)
Good, good.:)
When you do the ramp, ensure it has a side rail so that the tortoise can't fall off.