Tortoises beak

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
My torts beak seems really over grown, what can i do about it? Thankyou in advance :)

Attachments

• 1407403642509.jpg
    1407403642509.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 39

yillt

Get a nail clipper and slowly snip away at the end. Or put his food on a piece of slate. If those don't work you can take him to the vet. But I find that to expensive for its worth.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Get a nail clipper and slowly snip away at the end. Or put his food on a piece of slate. If those don't work you can take him to the vet. But I find that to expensive for its worth.
Ooh ok, this is scary but i will try it

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Once it trimmed down use a flat rock as a feeding plate. It will keep that beak and nails trimmed for ya.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Vets use a dremel tool. You can use a nail file. I personally would not use clippers for most beaks because of the risk that it could break on a fault line. A file would not take too much off at a time or create heat & noise. The ones made for acrylic nails are cheap & strong.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Ooh ok, this is scary but i will try it
Slate! I would be afraid that I could hurt him with a clipper! After a while of eating on the rock, it should file down. Also, try hard food like carrots added it. Does he eat a cuttlebone? That helps too.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Thats a better idea! And yeah but she doesnt touch it

Sometimes it takes a while.
But I'd suggest first go to the vet. And then keep it up to par with the cuttlebone.

If you are reluctant to so don't do it, but let a vet handle it. Might be good so your tortoise can be fully checked out :)

Also you could get the zoomed tortoise block that is calcium infused with opuntia cactus and other greens.

Keep me posted curious to follow your situation:)

Best of luck!!

Joey

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is he still eating okay with it like that?

To help prevent it, like you have been told feed on a rougher dish (unglazed terra cotta) or a flat stone or slate. A carrot (whole) once a month would be okay. Cuttlebones can be helpful. A good thing is to be feeding him things like weeds and tree leaves which have a tougher stem and leaf consistency. Too often we only feed greens grown for humans, which is too soft because we water them and treat the plants so nice. Another thing we do, is we cut up their food. That ripping and tearing helps with beak wear. Make sure you feed all of the leaf or plant, not just the nice tender part of the leaves, those stems are needed too.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Lots of great advice already, just wanted to add that the feeding on a slate is a great idea, and to offer more larger/tougher food items for him to try eating. Big pieces of food he has to take bites off of help give him something to do, wears down his beak, and provides a bit of mental stimulation as they work out the easiest way to eat big food pieces.

-Jen

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Im going to find a piece of slate for their food bowl and i do already give whole leaves and stuff like that but i will try a whole carrot soon, thanks for all the advice :)