Tortoise's and Habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello Everyone -- If I did this right here are pics of some of my torts and their habitats which I change with the seasons,These were taken today so this is what they look like in summer. I have 3 ponds 2 in the ground and a small portable one that I made out of 2x4s and roof rubber. The house has 3 different heat sources, radiant heat from above a 3x4 ft heat pad on the floor and hot water circulating below the floor in copper tubing if needed. The pen is 16x24 ft,when the weather starts cooling down I cover it in plastic and turn it into basically a green house. The smaller torts stay in the pen all summer, the larger ones have the run of the whole yard. When the weather gets real cold they all go to the garage, which none of them enjoy. The little dog next to the Sulcata is Rocket and he has a fit if one of the torts gets turned over and wont stop barking until it is righted, don't know why but i am glad he does it. Len

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Welcome to TFO Len. You have some beautiful torts :) I really like you pens.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
AWESOME!!!! I really love your pens!!! Your Torts look happy and great.....thanks for sharing them and welcome to the forum!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome!! Great pictures, and what a great idea for a little pond that you made. I love your BIG yard and that BIG house for your torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I think Rocket is handsome and yeah for the job he does watching over the tortoises. :) Seeing your lineup of cactus in pots, do you have to move them inside during the winter? (Guess I should have checked where you lived)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for all the pics. Great set-up you have there. I see you grow your own food too. Love the sulcata house. How do you heat it in the winter?

What part of the world are you in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm hoping your rain forest tortoises aren't in the same habitat as your savannah tortoise, huh?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
emysemys said:
I'm hoping your rain forest tortoises aren't in the same habitat as your savannah tortoise, huh?

When they were young I had them in different setups. At 6 years of age they were put together and have been together for 8 years without any problems.The yard is big enough for each tort to find the spot they prefer.At this age and size they are not as delicate as youngsters are. They have wet, dry, sun ,filtered shade, and full shade areas to choose from at any time of the day.

Jacqui said:
Welcome! I think Rocket is handsome and yeah for the job he does watching over the tortoises. :) Seeing your lineup of cactus in pots, do you have to move them inside during the winter? (Guess I should have checked where you lived)
I raise 3 types of Opuntia that are winter hardy a lot farther north of where I live, which is in Virginia. the plants in the pots make it easy to feed the torts they eat down to the bottom pad and I set the pot back up off the ground and whats left will grow new pads.I also grow other plants for the torts.

laura13617

5 Year Member
midwest
welcome to the forum! great pics and what an awsome habitat u hae set up for your torts!!! love it

Status
Not open for further replies.