Soon to be Russian Tort Mom

AvocadosKeeper

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi! I’m about to adopt 2 rescue Russian torts and am so anxious. I was told by the rescue that a 5x5 ft. enclosure is large enough to house both torts (outdoors) but that seems small to me based on what I’ve read online.
Also, I was wondering if anyone has put raised walls in the center of their enclosure to essentially make it impossible for the torts to see clear across their pen. Like, if the enclosure were a large square, you would place a smaller square shaped object (milk crate?) in the middle, turning the enclosure into somewhat of a treadmill, with no start and no finish. Do you think the torts would like or dislike? 🧐🧐🧐🤷🏻‍♀️

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Russians don't do well in pairs. They would each need their own enclosure and size should be as big as you can build it. You want to obstruct their view so they can not see their domain without moving around. Plants, opuntia cactus and up turned flower pots help. Also make sure the walls of your enclosure are tall enough and/or covered as Russians are fantastic climbers. Good luck with the grumpy B@$tards! I am glad I only got one!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
As mentioned pair's can be a headache they are loaners and overtime you will see biting, chasing, harassment and sadly the one being dominated ends up retreating. Russians are escape artists so definatly high sided enclosure with no grip if required place wood around a stone wall perimeter to ensure smooth no grip.
I totally agree to break up the view with plants and pots etc... have fun arranging a nice layout. Depending on the size and age as hatchlings they climb galore and often land upside down so monitor and change climbing objects around or remove as required.

have a read of this care sheet....
Ask questions cas required and enjoy

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For me personally, yes I think it's too small especially for an outdoor enclosure. Rectangle enclosures are also better then square.

As said the more natural vision blockers are the way to go. They not only are more pleasing to our eye, but they can provide shade and a food source to the tortoises. Even making certain the terrain is not flat can help.

The climbing ability of these guys was mentioned. Make sure you put in inward facing lips all around, especially corners. Watch for digging too.

You can try to keep them together and the larger and more heavily on visual blockers, the better your chances. But always be prepared at a moments notice to move on into and enclosure of it's own.

Are these your first tortoises? Are they an actual pair or just two tortoises? What are and size are they? This too, is a big factory in compatibility.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
This is my outdoor enclosure it is 4' x 12' with a lip all the way around and metal fence under for digging. I have since upgraded the hide to a tote with an RHP inside to allow earlier springs and later falls outside for my Russian. The cover is for the predators-Raccoons, oppusums, hawks and owls

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    910.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1773 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1773 (1).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This is my outdoor enclosure it is 4' x 12' with a lip all the way around and metal fence under for digging. I have since upgraded the hide to a tote with an RHP inside to allow earlier springs and later falls outside for my Russian. The cover is for the predators-Raccoons, oppusums, hawks and owls
Nice. Is there something that gives it shade on hot summer days?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Nice. Is there something that gives it shade on hot summer days?
I have since added a piece of metal roof panel so at least a third is in shade including his water. I didn't have to do anything initially since It is under my tree and my neighbor had a huge live Oak that blocked the afternoon son. Well after a wicked set of DERECHOS the tree had to come down and my poor cedar tree was left barren on the west side. They are two monster trees though easily 50' plus tall and almost a hundred years old. For size that is a 62 pound chow and 102 pound Shiloh Shepherd. On the branch you will see half of a mated pair of Cooper's Hawk that hunts in my neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    990.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 5

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have since added a piece of metal roof panel so at least a third is in shade including his water. I didn't have to do anything initially since It is under my tree and my neighbor had a huge live Oak that blocked the afternoon son. Well after a wicked set of DERECHOS the tree had to come down and my poor cedar tree was left barren on the west side. They are two monster trees though easily 50' plus tall and almost a hundred years old. For size that is a 62 pound chow and 102 pound Shiloh Shepherd. On the branch you will see half of a mated pair of Cooper's Hawk that hunts in my neighborhood.
I would switch out the metal for another type of panel. Summer heat can turn metal into ovens... this just my opinion.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BTW... neat about the hawk! What is the other dog?

AvocadosKeeper

CA
As mentioned pair's can be a headache they are loaners and overtime you will see biting, chasing, harassment and sadly the one being dominated ends up retreating. Russians are escape artists so definatly high sided enclosure with no grip if required place wood around a stone wall perimeter to ensure smooth no grip.
I totally agree to break up the view with plants and pots etc... have fun arranging a nice layout. Depending on the size and age as hatchlings they climb galore and often land upside down so monitor and change climbing objects around or remove as required.

have a read of this care sheet....
Ask questions cas required and enjoy
Wow, that’s a LOT of info in that care sheet! But I will gladly take it all in. Thank you so much for sharing!