Tortoise underwater

herzhet

Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba
Hello,

My baby leopard tortoise loves to put his head underwater and stare. Should I be worried?

79B1B9B8-11AC-4FCA-8647-E7029ED01CA3.jpeg

They soak in their tub in their enclosure.

Daily, water is an inch high (now that theyve grown bigger). They love to do water pushup with their front legs while their back legs are stretched out. When the water is high, it makes them walk a lot, then chill in the corner and stare, then poop, then step all over the poop, then mix the turtle poop soup, then starts scratching the side wanting to leave. This whole thing takes about an hour.

265B900F-4500-4918-ADB3-DB263844B125.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Our baby (now monster) Sulcata did this all the time. I think you could use a much larger soaking container…..but yes, torts do this. At least ours did..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it's fine, no need to worry. The biggest worry is if you house them in the same enclosure. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. Get them their own proper enclosure before it's too late.
It's not a if one Bullies the other it's a 100% when!

herzhet

Manitoba
Thank you guys! I was concerned he was holding his breath too long. Appreciate the fast replies!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello,

My baby leopard tortoise loves to put his head underwater and stare. Should I be worried?

View attachment 349252

Daily, water is an inch high (now that theyve grown bigger). They love to do water pushup with their front legs while their back legs are stretched out. When the water is high, it makes them walk a lot, then chill in the corner and stare, then poop, then step all over the poop, then mix the turtle poop soup, then starts scratching the side wanting to leave. This whole thing takes about an hour.

View attachment 349253
cute

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello,

View attachment 349252

View attachment 349253
They are absolutely beautiful !
Angie

TortulandiaMPS

Leesburg FL
Hello,

View attachment 349252

View attachment 349253
Not to worry.....this is exactly how Jacques Cousteau started years ago.😉😊