Tortoise Table for my yellowfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexashton

5 Year Member
:tort:Hey! So Tiger ( my yellow footed tortoise) is outgrowing her old tank. She is about 10.5 inches.
.jpg IMG_20131003_212348.jpg (Size: 3.14 MB / Downloads: 3) I am going to build her a new table in the Corner of my room.
.jpg IMG_20131003_212413.jpg (Size: 2.48 MB / Downloads: 2) It will be 25x73 inches on the long side and then 25x25 on the short side. It will have a total 2450 inches squared. It will be 30 inches off the ground. I am wondering what the best environment is for her. My room is air conditioned and at night it doesn't go below 68 and during the day around 75. I close the fan nearest her. What things should i get in the table? What kind of layout? Lights and Humidifier? Water area? Let me know

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
welcome. your tortoises shell is smooth and healthy which is always good to see. those temps are a bit low. what are the four temperatures in the table..cool side, over all, hide, and basking spot?

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

mralexashton

5 Year Member
nate.mann said:
welcome. your tortoises shell is smooth and healthy which is always good to see. those temps are a bit low. what are the four temperatures in the table..cool side, over all, hide, and basking spot?

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Not sure but basking around 80 probably and cool-side probably around 73

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The yellowfooted tortoise really doesn't need a hot side and a cool side. The habitat can be the same temperature all over the whole area. 80F is a good temperature to strive for.

I don't suppose there is any way this tortoise can be set up outside?

The table you are planning to build sounds like it will be big enough for the size of the tortoise. Once you get it built, add some plants, either real or fake, for the tortoise's sense of security. They like it "crowded." Plus, the plants will help hold in the humidity. You may have to cover the table to hold in the moisture too.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
I'm in the process of building one too, it's made from a bookshelf. I'm using a shower curtain and will be using that as a linear for the wood. Plus I'm putting heat cables on the bottom both these will help keep humidity, also live plantation will keep it boosted plant lots of them that are not harmful, you could also build a mini waterfall in there with a soak spot , they seem to do alright I have one in with mine and he loves it. For substrate I use plantation soil and coco husk for the top layer And spaghum moss in his hide ceramic heat emitters are great to have also they provide strong heat with no light, I have a 100w one with a 50wat daylight lamp beside it and a UVB strip lamp going across. Goodluck hopefully more members can you fill you in

mralexashton

5 Year Member
No way it can be outside it gets too cold in the winter here in NJ

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.