Tortoise table decorations

SophieeG

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hi I’ve started looking after a Russian tortoise and he seems to try and climb up the sides a lot. I’m trying to make the table more interesting but I’m not sure what to do. I was thinking adding a plant but am unsure of what kind is best. Any advice is appreciated!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I’ve started looking after a Russian tortoise and he seems to try and climb up the sides a lot. I’m trying to make the table more interesting but I’m not sure what to do. I was thinking adding a plant but am unsure of what kind is best. Any advice is appreciated!!
The enclosure is way too small. That is the primary reason for the wall climbing.

You could add an assortment of rock and logs and make some hiding areas, but there really isn't room for any of that in that enclosure. Maybe do some hanging plants where the leaves drape into the enclosure. The tortoise could walk under the hanging pots and feel pretty secure. Pothos and spider plant work well for this purpose.

@Markw84 Have you got suggestions for other plant species in the indoor enclosures? Isn't there one species of fern that is okay?

Happytort27

CA
I know that my tortoise likes to hide underneath his Boston ferns.

SophieeG

Wales
The enclosure is way too small. That is the primary reason for the wall climbing.

You could add an assortment of rock and logs and make some hiding areas, but there really isn't room for any of that in that enclosure. Maybe do some hanging plants where the leaves drape into the enclosure. The tortoise could walk under the hanging pots and feel pretty secure. Pothos and spider plant work well for this purpose.

@Markw84 Have you got suggestions for other plant species in the indoor enclosures? Isn't there one species of fern that is okay?

Thank you for responding! I have bought an extension for the table that should arrive next week so hopefully there will be a lot more room. Is it safe to get logs from the garden or is there somewhere you can buy them to make sure they are okay for the tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for responding! I have bought an extension for the table that should arrive next week so hopefully there will be a lot more room. Is it safe to get logs from the garden or is there somewhere you can buy them to make sure they are okay for the tortoise?
I use rocks and logs I find outside. Usually I will give them a good scrubbing with hot water and a stiff bristle brush. No soap. Then I soak them in a bucket of hot water. After that I let the item bake in the hot sun for a few days. I've never encountered any problem doing it this way.