Tortoise spends the entire day under the MVB is this normal?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I have an 11 month old hermann's. I've had him since may and I noticed that he never moves much. He spends the entire day under light bulbs only occasionally moving to eat but he returns straight to the basking area. My temps and humidity is good. The temperature is at 35C and humidity at 80 percent and it will gradually drop to 50 percent.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is the temp of the rest of the enclosure? You only gave us a basking temp.
Oh and no it's not normal. Something is wrong some place.
Give us all the temps, over all temp, night temp and what you are using to measure these temps and where is it placed in the enclosure?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
What is the temp of the rest of the enclosure? You only gave us a basking temp.
Oh and no it's not normal. Something is wrong some place.
Give us all the temps, over all temp, night temp and what you are using to measure these temps and where is it placed in the enclosure?
I'm using an exo terra thermometer and also a laser gun thermometer both show the same temps. He basking is 35 mid area is around 24 and cool area around 21. Humidity stay nicely at 80 percent I let it drop naturally and then mist the enclosure again.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It does sound like something is bothering the animal. They will relentlessly bask when they are trying to deal with whatever it is.
The nighttime drop is crucial so that's good that you offer it. You are not doing a closed chamber are you? I've mentioned several times the issues that the Testudo hermanni species complex has with this method despite the fact that it works well for many other species.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
It does sound like something is bothering the animal. They will relentlessly bask when they are trying to deal with whatever it is.
The nighttime drop is crucial so that's good that you offer it. You are not doing a closed chamber are you? I've mentioned several times the issues that the Testudo hermanni species complex has with this method despite the fact that it works well for many other species.
I always let half the enclosure opened. He is eating happily tbh and whenever I clean his enclosure in the morning he rans towards the slate plate because he knows its feeding time. He is gaining weight. IDK what could be bothering him. I mean I've done everything that is recommended.