tortoise soaking

Ivan'sMom

I see online that a lot of people insist that you soak your tortoises, but I brought him to a reptile vet when I first got him and she said it wasn't necessary. Any opinions

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
did the vet happen to say why?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
well personally if she didn't say why you shouldn't soak I would continue smoking but that's just me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most Russian tortoises are not too fond of forced soaks. I feel, at least for babies and young ones, it's for their own good, and I soak them whether they like it or not.

If you don't want to soak, you can spritz water over their food daily, but be sure to keep a waterer in the habitat so the tortoise can drink if it wants to.

W Shaw

The reason it's necessary is because captive tortoises need heat lamps to maintain their habitat temps. Having the heat source so hot and close really sucks out the moisture. Imagine how thirsty you'd get living in a tanning bed all day! My Russian hates soaks. He has water available, I wash his food and then put it in wet, and he has a humidifier. Sometimes I use a misting bottle to make it rain on him a little while he's distracted by his breakfast. Even so, without soaking, his skin and shell get too dry & a dry shell will pyramid (grow abnormally). So, as long as he needs heat lamps to maintain his temperature, he'll be soaked regularly. @Tom has done some important work on humidity and pyramiding, so he can probably add more info for you. I'm still a newbie but my little rescue came to me with his shell already abnormal from malnutrition. I want to make sure it grows normally from here on out.

Ivan'sMom

Ok I have never tried it. Ivan has a large water dish so sometimes he gets in it himself. His favorite food is enduve which has a lot of moisture in that. I can try the soaking but have a feeling he will not like it. Right now he is pacing in his tank. I had him out earlier let run the apartment for a while but he is digging at the corners. I even fed him again to see if he was hungry but he is still pacing. Hmmm

W Shaw

Ok I have never tried it. Ivan has a large water dish so sometimes he gets in it himself. His favorite food is enduve which has a lot of moisture in that. I can try the soaking but have a feeling he will not like it. Right now he is pacing in his tank. I had him out earlier let run the apartment for a while but he is digging at the corners. I even fed him again to see if he was hungry but he is still pacing. Hmmm

Mine hates it, but early on, Tom suggested a high-walled opaque container. So I bought 2 tall dishpans. 2 because they poop when they soak, so I can scoop him out quickly and set him in a clean bath while I replace the soiled one. The new containers made a big difference. Also, my apartment isn't as warm as his enclosure, so I soak him under a heat lamp, and use water that's almost as warm as I shower in. He still doesn't like a long soak, but he's gotten to where he'll relax and stretch out for the first few minutes.

As for the pacing, I can't say from experience, but I've heard that tortoises who are allowed to wander and then returned to their enclosure will get antsy, because they know there's a lot more space out there. Also, the first night I brought Ronan home, he scrabbled in all the corners. I realized he was trying to burrow and didn't have enough substrate. So I added enough for him to completely burrow in and that was the end of the scrabbling. Occasionally he digs most of the substrate out of a corner and then later tries to burrow there. If I hear him doing that, I just gently cover him up with substrate, like tucking him into bed. Then he's a happy camper again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see online that a lot of people insist that you soak your tortoises, but I brought him to a reptile vet when I first got him and she said it wasn't necessary. Any opinions

Find a new vet. That one is out of touch and not up to date.

Ivan'sMom

Mine hates it, but early on, Tom suggested a high-walled opaque container. So I bought 2 tall dishpans. 2 because they poop when they soak, so I can scoop him out quickly and set him in a clean bath while I replace the soiled one. The new containers made a big difference. Also, my apartment isn't as warm as his enclosure, so I soak him under a heat lamp, and use water that's almost as warm as I shower in. He still doesn't like a long soak, but he's gotten to where he'll relax and stretch out for the first few minutes.

As for the pacing, I can't say from experience, but I've heard that tortoises who are allowed to wander and then returned to their enclosure will get antsy, because they know there's a lot more space out there. Also, the first night I brought Ronan home, he scrabbled in all the corners. I realized he was trying to burrow and didn't have enough substrate. So I added enough for him to completely burrow in and that was the end of the scrabbling. Occasionally he digs most of the substrate out of a corner and then later tries to burrow there. If I hear him doing that, I just gently cover him up with substrate, like tucking him into bed. Then he's a happy camper again.
thanks....in this case I think it might be from the wandering earlier in the day. I just changed out his tank yesterday and filled it up with lots of substrate. I pile it up about several inches deep in the corner he sleeps in so he can burrow.

Ivan'sMom

Find a new vet. That one is out of touch and not up to date.
I will look into it. I won't soak him today though I already let him run around the apt and he has had a busy day today. I don't want to over do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will look into it. I won't soak him today though I already let him run around the apt and he has had a busy day today. I don't want to over do it.

I hate to sound so negative all the time, but your tortoise should not be running loose on the floor either. This practice results in death, injury, illness, impaction and all sorts of other mayhem every year for far too many tortoises. Everyone I tell this to insures me they are very careful, supervise closely, and they are sure nothing bad will happen. Every single person I see at the vets office with their sick, injured, impacted, mauled, or otherwise damaged tortoise was just as sure as you are.

Please don't take offense. Many people do when told this stuff. My only interest in taking the time to type this all out for you is the safety and well being of your tortoise.

P.S. A good soak after exercise is not overdoing anything at all. Its actually good for them.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I hate to sound so negative all the time, but your tortoise should not be running loose on the floor either. This practice results in death, injury, illness, impaction and all sorts of other mayhem every year for far too many tortoises. Everyone I tell this to insures me they are very careful, supervise closely, and they are sure nothing bad will happen. Every single person I see at the vets office with their sick, injured, impacted, mauled, or otherwise damaged tortoise was just as sure as you are.

Please don't take offense. Many people do when told this stuff. My only interest in taking the time to type this all out for you is the safety and well being of your tortoise.

P.S. A good soak after exercise is not overdoing anything at all. Its actually good for them.
agree 100%

W Shaw

I just want to second the "Don't take offense" thing. Tom's been a HUGE help to me in the couple of months I've had Ronan and his advice has prevented me from making a lot of the beginner mistakes that get tortoises injured or killed. I'm SO grateful that I got his cautionary notes BEFORE anything bad happened to Ronan.

Ivan'sMom

Well one I don't let him run around he is with me in a very small part of my apartment. I have no other pets to cause injury to him. I do take offense in that I have been on this site for a short time and received more judgment than help. So not feeling very comfortable discussing things or asking questions.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Please don't take offense . These people on this forum are very knowledgeable about all kinds of tortoise and turtles. Much more up to date info then you get on the web. They mean no harm, just care about there animals. I have learned so much from them. They will keep your tort healthy and happy with their advice. And some of them are vets too. Most vets out there have no clue as to how to raise a tort and have outdated info unless they specialize in torts. People he do.
Thanks and welcome

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
A hopefully helpful note on soaking - mine did not like it, until I started checking the water temp with a thermometer-I had the water too warm! It didn't feel too warm to my hand, but was reading over 95 F on thermometer.
I started doing 10-20 minute soaks in opaque container, under a warming light and with 85-90 F water. My female seems to love this, has been drinking a lot and looks so much better to me than she did a month ago, much better hydration, skin noticeable difference. She is also eating much better than ever. The male still could do without it, but I give home shorter soaks anyway. I think he will be better off for it.

I've had my 2 Russians for 12 years. I'm pretty new to this site, but I have learned a lot by spending time skimming through other people's threads, reading old posts here, and when I've asked questions I have gotten some good advice. I think my torts are better for it. There is a LOT of info to take in. And I thought I had researched well 12 years ago. But I'm still learning!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do take offense in that I have been on this site for a short time and received more judgment than help. So not feeling very comfortable discussing things or asking questions.

Hmmm…. Judgement….

Let's approach this another way: Please imagine a subject that you are very experienced and well versed in. Something that you've been actively involved in and pursuing for decades. Imagine you see a relatively new person engaging in some behavior associated with this subject that you know from many past experiences is very likely to result in great harm and that the new person is NOT going to be happy about.

What would you do? Remain silent so the new person doesn't feel like you are judging them or their behavior? You see a train wreck coming, but you wouldn't type a few simple words to warn them?

My question for you: How could I have worded my response to be less offensive and judgmental and more helpful in warning you that what you are doing often results in harm to tortoises?

Sjsarge

Carlsbad, CA
Hi. I am a new tortoise owner and i will say this forum can be a little intimidating but I appreciate all the feedback I read on here. I have cared for horses my entire life and I know I come off as judgey when I talk about their care. That being said....

MY tortoise REALLY hates soaking. While he is soaking he will completely empty his bowels the ENTIRE time. Outside of soaking he has healthy, small, firm torti poops. While soaking, and after soaking when I am drying him, he just drains horrible smelly loose stools. He also flails all over and if he were a mammal i would say 100% that soaking stresses him out beyond belief - which is why he empties himself the entire time. I appreciate reading about how the heat lamp drys him up, because my first questions was WHY do i have to do this and do they do this in the wild. He has a large shallow water dish in his indoor enclosure, and outside where he spends 2 - 3 hours a day. About 1 - 2 times a week i will find poop and pee in his water dish - the first night i got him he went straight in a relieved himself both ways. I have also visibly seen him drinking water both inside and outside. He also goes potty (#1 and #2) outside of the water dish. Overall I would say his "bodily functions" are normal from what I can tell. After tonights soak I feel like it is more stressful than helpful. I think all of the experienced members will still say to soak him, but I would still love feedback on signs that he really does need a soak every week. Could I mist him a couple times a week? I currently mist his substrate 1 - 2 times a week. Thank you!

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Hi. I am a new tortoise owner and i will say this forum can be a little intimidating but I appreciate all the feedback I read on here. I have cared for horses my entire life and I know I come off as judgey when I talk about their care. That being said....

MY tortoise REALLY hates soaking. While he is soaking he will completely empty his bowels the ENTIRE time. Outside of soaking he has healthy, small, firm torti poops. While soaking, and after soaking when I am drying him, he just drains horrible smelly loose stools. He also flails all over and if he were a mammal i would say 100% that soaking stresses him out beyond belief - which is why he empties himself the entire time. I appreciate reading about how the heat lamp drys him up, because my first questions was WHY do i have to do this and do they do this in the wild. He has a large shallow water dish in his indoor enclosure, and outside where he spends 2 - 3 hours a day. About 1 - 2 times a week i will find poop and pee in his water dish - the first night i got him he went straight in a relieved himself both ways. I have also visibly seen him drinking water both inside and outside. He also goes potty (#1 and #2) outside of the water dish. Overall I would say his "bodily functions" are normal from what I can tell. After tonights soak I feel like it is more stressful than helpful. I think all of the experienced members will still say to soak him, but I would still love feedback on signs that he really does need a soak every week. Could I mist him a couple times a week? I currently mist his substrate 1 - 2 times a week. Thank you!
Hi! Welcome to the forum!
Unlike in nature we all are usually keeping the tortoises under lamps and heating elements that are much more drying than life in the wild would be. In addition to drinking, tortoises actually can take in fluids anally. Thus the common defecating while soaking...it sounds like if you have smelly copious elimination, there could be a parasite problem there. Not uncommon to have parasites, but if too high a level giving smelly loose stools...a vet fecal exam is warranted to see if treatment needed.

When I soak my Russians, I set out dishpans, I do temperature check of the water (95 F seems their preferred) and after 10 minutes I move from one pan into new pan with new warm water...cools fast on me.

I had my 2 pet store acquired pair treated for pinworms early on after getting them..and their stool stopped being both runny and smelly. My 3 hatchlings have never had loose or smelly stool, and since captive raised I suspect no (or so few) parasites it is not an issue.

Good luck!!