Bad Vet Advice?

zoe98love

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
So, I recently took my new baby Russian to a vet office I've never been to before.
My usual vet only deals with cats and dogs, so I searched around and found an office that had a good reputation for dealing with reptiles.
While there, I got my baby dewormed, and the vet asked me some questions, nothing out of the usual. It was along the lines of "what are you feeding him?" and "what's his enclosure like?"
After I told her, I started to get concerned with the advice she was giving me.
For one, she recommended that I feed him pellets instead of greens, or a combination of the two, since they have a lot of nutrients in them. That wasn't so bad, but then she went on to say how I shouldn't have the tort on the substrate I currently have (a combination of cypress mulch, plantation soil, and sphagnum moss) and that he should be on newspaper or a reptile carpet instead.o_O I know that both of those things are a big no-no for tortoises here on the forum, especially for Russians, who like to burrow (which my baby does -- he actually prefers burrowing down to sleep at night instead of using any of his hides). She also told me to take the water bowl out of his enclosure since it wasn't necessary.
Let's just say I left the vet office very confused. I'd talked to other tortoise owners before coming to this particular vet, and they said that she was great with all animals. She just said so many things that contradicted what I'd been told and what I'd read on numerous websites and in numerous books.
So...does anyone have any thoughts on this? I just thought I'd bring it up to the forum, since I wasn't really sure what to make of it.
I'd love to hear your opinions!

- Zoe

Kim444

5 Year Member
That's terrible advice, try another reptile vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If she doesn't keep tortoises herself, she was just spouting advice she had read in books. It's not a bad idea to use someone like that for their health experience, and use someone like us for your husbandry needs.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I hope this advice was given out of ignorance. If so that's acceptable since you know better. But what about the many other tortoise owners who are just as ignorant and follow the advice from a well educated vet.

I use the word ignorance as the definition and not as an insult just FYI.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yep, agreed. Maybe you could point her in the forum direction.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh man, another vet that doesn't know what they are talking about. I have been having a fight with a local "reptile" vet that gives the same bad advice, not only in person, but on their website. If I were you, I would start the talk with the vet and see if you can get them to re-educate themselves on proper husbandry. I would also plan on finding another vet, but don't have high hopes of finding one that actually knows what they are talking about. In the mean time, if your tort is not sick, don't go to the vet. More harm could be done then any good.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I suggest looking for another vet. There are vets around with up to date info/training.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Zoe
Evan Vet's forum ideas that aren't right . But does she have torts ? Probably Not . Sorry and I know this don't help .

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I know many people would be very confused when "professional" vets tell you one thing and "non-professional" hobbyists like us tell you something different.

There are reptile vets who are forum members here. Two I can think of off the top of my head are ferrettinmyshoes and deadheadvet. You could drop them a quick private message, and they could offer their professional opinions on the info you've got. It might help straighten out your confusion and set your mind at ease.
I'm sure there are other vets and vet-techs on here, I just can't think of their names right now.
Hang in there!!!! :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have found great reptile vets that don't know tortoises. They know snakes and lizards. It is unfortunate that they spout misinformation to people. Vets and pet stores, people trust them, and are horribly mislead. At least you know better.

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
Oh man, another vet that doesn't know what they are talking about. I have been having a fight with a local "reptile" vet that gives the same bad advice, not only in person, but on their website. If I were you, I would start the talk with the vet and see if you can get them to re-educate themselves on proper husbandry. I would also plan on finding another vet, but don't have high hopes of finding one that actually knows what they are talking about. In the mean time, if your tort is not sick, don't go to the vet. More harm could be done then any good.

I was actually only taking him because he's a new member to the family and I wanted to have him checked for parasites. She was very informative about that and gave him a little medicine for deworming.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks for all of your advice! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only confused one. I plan to continue taking husbandry advice from the forum :)

While the information she shared with you was not the "popular" stuff of today....don't let that deter you from taking in all pieces of info you can get your hands on and then from that info you can design a good set up for the tort in your care....like the newspaper/or carpet advice, likely offered with the belief that there would be less bacterial growth than in warm dirt that are common in a captive indoor enclosure---while some truth to that, the trade off is not worth it (to me anyways).... also, some folks see a tortoise in captivity as truly a "pet" and with that comes the human pleasure factor moreover than the well being of the tortoise...

No water in the enclosure...this could have been suggested with the belief in mind that tortoise gather a great deal of their hydration from food intake (which is has some truism)...also, some folks do not want a water dish in the enclosure due to potential drowning issue---again, possibilities here as to why the info was shared with you...also, while each has their own merits, they also have their own draw backs...

Pellets (or even mazuri) are a perfectly fine dietary item to add, if the tortoise will partake--why not? I would not make the commercial food the only/sole food offering...but as part of a varied diet, sure---also, the commercial food has added vitamins and such in the event the tort needs some...

Here is now another point of view (some agree and some do not, again--individual perspective)...I personally would not take a tortoise to the vet just because it was new to my care....if the tort is doing all it is suppose to do and there is no sign of illness or the like, I would not have subjected the tort to the stress of the vet visit....now, don't take that as some type of attack on you--truly is not....just saying that each person/tortoise host has their own ways that work for them....my theory is the the less stress is the best....:D