Tortoise skin randomly bleeding?

Nathania

I'm not sure why this is happening but my African leopard tort has some bleeding skin on his neck and it's spreading towards his head. I'm really worried. He just got off antibiotics for a RI a few months ago so I hope he's ok now. I soak him but he rarely drinks his water so idk if he's just dehydrated or something. Help?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it actually bleeding? I see a red spot that looks to me like a possible bug bite, but doesn't look like it is or has bled. If it's not really bleeding, but just red looking, I would do a good check of his enclosure to see what bugs are in there biting him, ants, spiders, etc. if it's actually bleeding, then is it possible he is scraping his neck on something, possibly even a sharp edge on his shell when he pulls his head in.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Looks a little like bruising/bleeding under the skin.

Nathania

Is it actually bleeding? I see a red spot that looks to me like a possible bug bite, but doesn't look like it is or has bled. If it's not really bleeding, but just red looking, I would do a good check of his enclosure to see what bugs are in there biting him, ants, spiders, etc. if it's actually bleeding, then is it possible he is scraping his neck on something, possibly even a sharp edge on his shell when he pulls his head in.
I haven't seen any insects in his enclosure. But I did think it was bleeding because it looks like it s a scab now...I think you are probably right, because when I put him in water he tries to get out after a while and if I don't take him out immediately then it's possible that he's scratched himself on his shell.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Double check his enclosure for spiders and ants, they are the most common bugs that you would find that could bite. Then also watch him when you soak to see what might happen when he tries to get out. Hopefully it's just the later and no harm really done, just soak in a larger container with taller sides and not clear, so he can't see out or over and see if that helps, if not soak a little less of time

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It does look like some sort of bite or poke.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to know that your tort is bleeding and hope he recovers soon.
How about seeing a vet? ;)

And welcome to the forum!:tort: