Tortoise sensitivity to tap water

Location (City and/or State)
Maryville Tennessee
So I have a juvenile I have had for 1 3/4 years. He was rubbing his eyes from his first soak. Not sure if this is normal. But he has had two respiratory infections in 6 months.
The first time we did antibiotics and ointment, shanked his habitat to a glass tank (at the vets request) to better provide moisture that we weren’t getting in his table. We switched to all distilled water. Now he is having eye problems again both eyes.
The only difference besides humidity is that now that he can’t go out to his little garden several outed a week, I put him in his table when he gets really energetic for a couple of hours at a time. The table has plants growing that I use tap water on. His outside garden is watered with rain only.
So, I’m wondering if he could have a sensitivity to something in the tap water. His only symptom is swollen, itchy eyes.

Maryville Tennessee
Always possible but not likely. What kind of lighting are you using?
Any coil type bulbs would be the reason.
Last time he got sick I switched from this to this

Attachments

• F45DC675-EDEC-418C-A2D3-6671C2A6268A.jpeg
    F45DC675-EDEC-418C-A2D3-6671C2A6268A.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DC5611EA-B94C-4D99-95B6-D3FCBA45574B.jpeg
    DC5611EA-B94C-4D99-95B6-D3FCBA45574B.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is your problem. None of the cfl bulbs should be used. It burns their eyes.

If the tap water is safe for you to drink and bathe in, then it should not be any problem for your tortoise.

The four main causes of eye problems:
1. CFL bulbs.
2. Sand substrate.
3. Dry dusty substrate of any kind.
4. Sickness, often due to incorrect temperatures.

If your temperatures are correct, your substrate is not sandy, dry or dusty, then the bulb is the most likely culprit.

They don't need UV all day every day. Turn that bulb off ASAP and leave it off until you get a suitable replacement. They can go weeks with no UV at all. An hour of access to sunshine in a safe outdoor enclosure a couple of times a week is plenty to get the job done. If you still want indoor UV get an HO type T5 florescent tube, and run it on a timer for 1-3 hours mid day only.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That might be your issue right there

Maryville Tennessee
There is your problem. None of the cfl bulbs should be used. It burns their eyes.

If the tap water is safe for you to drink and bathe in, then it should not be any problem for your tortoise.

The four main causes of eye problems:
1. CFL bulbs.
2. Sand substrate.
3. Dry dusty substrate of any kind.
4. Sickness, often due to incorrect temperatures.

If your temperatures are correct, your substrate is not sandy, dry or dusty, then the bulb is the most likely culprit.

They don't need UV all day every day. Turn that bulb off ASAP and leave it off until you get a suitable replacement. They can go weeks with no UV at all. An hour of access to sunshine in a safe outdoor enclosure a couple of times a week is plenty to get the job done. If you still want indoor UV get an HO type T5 florescent tube, and run it on a timer for 1-3 hours mid day only.
Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just what I figured. Usually if there is an eye problem its because these types bulbs are being used. Florescent tube are the only uvb that should be used.
Nice catch, ma'am.
And I would not use distilled water. Though "regular" filtered water is fine if there is any issues with the local tapwater

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I hope he's soon better when you change the bulbs.
What species is he?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is an Eastern Herman’s. The vet started him on antibiotic shots. He is eating well.
What are the shots for? The eyes do not need anything but the coil bad bulbs be turned off and never used. No antibiotics are needed for the eyes. I would stop them if that's what the vet is giving them for.