Tortoise seed mixes

JokingYeti

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello! Has anyone added a tortoise seed mix to their regular lawn with success? Will the new weeds/plants take over my lawn or just add a few new plants to the environment? Is it better to do this in a large tray away from my normal lawn? Any recommendations on which one to get? I’m in the phoenix area and currently have Bermuda grass in the summer and rye in the winter if that matters. This would be for a 50lb sulcata

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used to buy seed and throw it in my torts yard. Some of it grew and comes back. I have a few different kinds of clover and not sure if because of that or just what it is, but the human portion of the yard is more clover than grass.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! Has anyone added a tortoise seed mix to their regular lawn with success? Will the new weeds/plants take over my lawn or just add a few new plants to the environment? Is it better to do this in a large tray away from my normal lawn? Any recommendations on which one to get? I’m in the phoenix area and currently have Bermuda grass in the summer and rye in the winter if that matters. This would be for a 50lb sulcata
For a 50 pound sulcata, we are talking about pastures, not yards.Grow as much as you can however you can.

To get seed mixes to grow, I always till and amend the soil in a specific garden bed area. I've never tried broadcasting the seed on a lawn. I would guess that it wouldn't start as well that way, and the local birds will likely eat most of it too. I have to cover mine to keep the birds off of it, and then after it starts to grow, I have to fence it to keep the rabbits, squirrels and cats off of it.

JokingYeti

Phoenix, Arizona
For a 50 pound sulcata, we are talking about pastures, not yards.Grow as much as you can however you can.

To get seed mixes to grow, I always till and amend the soil in a specific garden bed area. I've never tried broadcasting the seed on a lawn. I would guess that it wouldn't start as well that way, and the local birds will likely eat most of it too. I have to cover mine to keep the birds off of it, and then after it starts to grow, I have to fence it to keep the rabbits, squirrels and cats off of it.
Thanks for the info. This is definitely doable in a large portion of my yard ASAP. With no HOA we could take over the whole front and back yard at some point. Do you have a good place to get seed mixes specifically for sulcatas? I see some on tortoise supply and carolina pet supply but would hate to bring the wrong plants in here

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the info. This is definitely doable in a large portion of my yard ASAP. With no HOA we could take over the whole front and back yard at some point. Do you have a good place to get seed mixes specifically for sulcatas? I see some on tortoise supply and carolina pet supply but would hate to bring the wrong plants in here
The Testudo mix from Tortoise supply has worked beautifully for me for nearly a decade now. Its my favorite. I tried the Carolina one and it wasn't as good for me. Our climates are similar, so I'd expect similar results. I'm in the CA high desert. Hot and dry here.

For grass I prefer this one over all others:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Kapidolo Farms can also recommend seed mixtures to you also. I use a horse pasture seed...bought at the feed store...but I have noticed my Sulcata doesn't eat growing dandelions, if I pick'em it's a whole nuther thing...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As you can see from the varied results and recommendations, the best way to go is to get a bunch of them and try them all out to see what works best for you in your area. I've done that for many years in side-by-side comparisons and that is what my recommendations are based on. Other people in different climates, or with different batches of the seed mix might experience different results.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Ive dug broadleaf plantain weeds that ive found while out fishing and have transplanted them into my pens and they've spread very well. also just blow dandelion seeds (the lil fluffy balls that u blow and make a wish) and they just keep on giving.

JokingYeti

Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I will grab a few of these to start in growing tables. If they are going well I can move them more permanently in my yard.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I will grab a few of these to start in growing tables. If they are going well I can move them more permanently in my yard.
For whatever it’s worth, I had to cut mine out after a year because it was so thick and dense my tortoise could hide within the growth, and I could not find him at all. If you have a big Tortoise, it’s not a problem, but mine is a russian.