Tortoise problem

All my tortoise does is sleep and lay under the basing bulb. He eats but not as much and he isn't pooping. I soak him once a week and spray him twice a day and when I do soak him he just sits there. I give him calcium twice a day. His humidity is 40%, his basking area is 95 degrees, at night temps are 60 degrees, I feed him squash, bell peppers and kale (he loves kale!). I just don't know what's wrong with him ...... P. S I just got him on Christmas.

turtlepiano

5 Year Member
I am still learning but I know that the forum tort experts will need more info. Send a pic of the enclosure. Also what bulbs are you using. They'll probably want you to bring the night time temps and humidity up. If it's sick and still eating you've probably caught it early. You'll get good advice on here. Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, that is too much calcium. A small pinch once or twice a week is enough. Too much is as bad as too little. Also, a bigger variety for the diet is needed. I also would raise the night temps too 70. They are used to hibernating. A higher temp will help for night, 60 is not too low of a temp though, but in winter I don't let mine get that low as I don't hibernate mine. Also what are your day temps? You only mention the basking. The day temp I would make 80.

First, that is too much calcium. A small pinch once or twice a week is enough. Too much is as bad as too little. Also, a bigger variety for the diet is needed. I also would raise the night temps too 70. They are used to hibernating. A higher temp will help for night, 60 is not too low of a temp though, but in winter I don't let mine get that low as I don't hibernate mine. Also what are your day temps? You only mention the basking. The day temp I would make 80.
Sorry, not twice a day I meant twice a week. His daytime temperature is 82 degrees. I feed him squash, bell pepper &kale.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry, not twice a day I meant twice a week. His daytime temperature is 82 degrees. I feed him squash, bell pepper &kale.

Sounds like your temperatures are good over all. A pic of your enclosure might offer us some more info to give you tips.

What are you doing for UV?

Your diet need much improvement. Kale is okay once in a while, but not every day. Same with squash. Bell pepper should only be offered in small amounts once in a while and mixed in with other foods. Your tortoise needs broadleaf weeds as its primary diet. If you can't get these because its winter where you are, then favor endive and escarole as your staples, and add lots of other stuff like kale, collard, mustard and turnip greens, cilantro, carrot tops and celery tops, arugula, water cress, bok choy, etc… These foods are all too low in fiber, so you will also need to amend them. Adding some soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets are the easiest way, but adding sprouted wheatgrass, or blended and re-hydrated grass hay can work too. Start with very small amounts when adding these fiber amendments. Gradually add more as the tortoise gets used to it over a period of weeks.

Sounds like your temperatures are good over all. A pic of your enclosure might offer us some more info to give you tips.

What are you doing for UV?

Your diet need much improvement. Kale is okay once in a while, but not every day. Same with squash. Bell pepper should only be offered in small amounts once in a while and mixed in with other foods. Your tortoise needs broadleaf weeds as its primary diet. If you can't get these because its winter where you are, then favor endive and escarole as your staples, and add lots of other stuff like kale, collard, mustard and turnip greens, cilantro, carrot tops and celery tops, arugula, water cress, bok choy, etc… These foods are all too low in fiber, so you will also need to amend them. Adding some soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets are the easiest way, but adding sprouted wheatgrass, or blended and re-hydrated grass hay can work too. Start with very small amounts when adding these fiber amendments. Gradually add more as the tortoise gets used to it over a period of weeks.
Okay thank you, I will expand his diet like you said. And my UVB bulb gives out UVB&UV.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are pics ...the uvb bulb is in the little dome.

Some percentage of these cfl type bulbs burn reptile eyes. They should not be used. When these bulbs are used, sometimes the tortoises hide from the painful, eye-burning light all day.

In addition to the risk of eye burning, these bulbs are not an effective UV source.

I would stop using it immediately and get a good UV tube instead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In looking at your pic, I see a few other things too. I point this out to be helpful and make things better. You should not feel picked on, or like you are doing everything "wrong".

-What size is your tortoise? That tub is fine for a baby, but much too small for an adult.
-Your substrate looks too shallow and too dry.
-That type of water bowl is not suitable for tortoises. It is a tipping hazard, and many tortoises will just avoid it and not drink or soak. A terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate works best.

In looking at your pic, I see a few other things too. I point this out to be helpful and make things better. You should not feel picked on, or like you are doing everything "wrong".

-What size is your tortoise? That tub is fine for a baby, but much too small for an adult.
-Your substrate looks too shallow and too dry.
-That type of water bowl is not suitable for tortoises. It is a tipping hazard, and many tortoises will just avoid it and not drink or soak. A terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate works best.
My tortoise is about 4inches, I just added some more substrate in there so now it's about as deep as my index finger, he goes in his water dish about every two days somethings everyday and shits in there awhile until he poops his dish bowl is pretty big to be to fits in it very well. You think I should get another bigger one? Oh and also what's a terra cotta plants saucer?

Attachments

• 1485921338118.jpg
    1485921338118.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1485921353008.jpg
    1485921353008.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 15