Tortoise pooping a lot

Vanessa Black

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I’ve noticed that my little Neddy boi has been pooping a lot more lately. Every time I’ve picked her up to take her out of her cage, there’s a new little pile of poop. Is she okay? Just checking in. Her cage is a bit small. Her cage is around 75 degrees in the day, the lights are on all day (12 hours or so) and she eats a varied diet of lettuce, dandelion, clover and the occasional blueberry. And no it’s not diarrhea, it’s solid normal poops

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi, have we looked over photos of your enclosure and lighting? We are happy to do so and recommend improvements that will help your tort.

Lots of poop is a sign of a healthy appetite. The more they eat then the more they poop. So it isn’t something to be concerned about. :)

The fact that poop is in the enclosure suggests you aren’t soaking your tort. Those that are soaked regularly usually poop in the soak water. This sounds disgusting, but is actually better from your point of view because a better hydrated tortoise tends to do a single massive poop and it saves having to clean the enclosure.

Do give your tort a good a good soak in warm water for at least 20 minutes - daily if under two years old and at least couple of times a week otherwise.

Vanessa Black

Idaho
Hi, have we looked over photos of your enclosure and lighting? We are happy to do so and recommend improvements that will help your tort.

Lots of poop is a sign of a healthy appetite. The more they eat then the more they poop. So it isn’t something to be concerned about. :)

The fact that poop is in the enclosure suggests you aren’t soaking your tort. Those that are soaked regularly usually poop in the soak water. This sounds disgusting, but is actually better from your point of view because a better hydrated tortoise tends to do a single massive poop and it saves having to clean the enclosure.

Do give your tort a good a good soak in warm water for at least 20 minutes - daily if under two years old and at least couple of times a week otherwise.

I soak my tortoise once every other day or two. And there’s nothing that can really be done about my enclosure set up. My parents won’t let me get a bigger one and there’s nowhere to put it in our house. I intend to buy her a new one when we move out. I have a 100 watt heating bulb and a 100 watt blue day time bulb.

Thank you for your help though! I’m glad she’s healthy! :)