Help!! (doesn't eat, sleeps a lot)

I have a Russian tortoise that I've had for about 2 years, and lately she's been in kinda of a funk. She doesn't eat much and she sleeps a lot. Any time I look at her she looks really depressed and very sad. Even when I'm holding her she acts depressed. Her cage is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit and she gets a variety of food. I don't think she's dehydrated. Please help so my tortoise will get out of this funk.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there :) sorry to hear about your little ones mood :(.

i would suggest pictures of enclosure to help with advice, a lot of torts are being divas just now with season change, perhaps the issue?

Geng

5 Year Member
From what I understand tortoises are slowing down these days. The weather is cooling down and there making ready for hibernation.

I'm experiencing the same with mine (sleeping and not eating). I took her to the vet last week to check if she's sick or has the urge to hibernate. It turns out to be the last one. She did get treated for worms, which was a little and nothing to worry about.

Nice pics. And a cute tort. GOD bless.

If it's cold back there, then this is expected: torts do tend to become inactive and lose appetite during Winter. I wouldn't worry if it's cold.
Thank you, I live in Minnesota so it's very cold, but her cage is about 78 degrees. So do you think she can just tell that it's winter time?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Thank you, I live in Minnesota so it's very cold, but her cage is about 78 degrees. So do you think she can just tell that it's winter time?
This may sound funny but I believe that torts can tell when it's Winter. I live in Jordan (the Middle East), where its very HOT in Summer and freezing COLD in Winter. Gosh......Oli (my beloved Greek tort) is so happy, lively and he eats well during Summer. On the other hand during Winter, he becomes inactive, seems bored, "upset", and he loses appetite. He too, has lights in his enclosure, and I've a central heating system in my flat.

Hope that helps.

This may sound funny but I believe that torts can tell when it's Winter. I live in Jordan (the Middle East), where its very HOT in Summer and freezing COLD in Winter. Gosh......Oli (my beloved Greek tort) is so happy, lively and he eats well during Summer. On the other hand during Winter, he becomes inactive, seems bored, "upset", and he loses appetite. He too, has lights in his enclosure, and I've a central heating system in my flat.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, that help a lot!!