Tortoise Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xastur

5 Year Member
My aunt found this tortoise and shes holding it for me and my dad till we can go pick him up.. I believe its a yellow foot which would be perfect since we already have 2 redfoots so we know how to take care of it.. but just wanted to make sure. Sorry for the picture clarity, she has a bad camera

Attachments

• Tort.jpg
    Tort.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 110

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
cant help you with thatone..
she 'found' it? wandering or bought it for you?
does SHE know how to care for it till you can go get it fron her?
When are you going?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really can't tell. The pic is distorted and blurry. Almost looks like it could be a light colored CDT or maybe even a greek. Pretty either way. Let us know and post a good pic when you get it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
That could be a Desert Tortoise or one of the other American tortoise species. The young can look a lot like Red-foots but they have the more 'primitive'-looking legs like a Greek, etc.

The thing is, if it IS an American tortoise, it is probably VERY, VERY protected by law and should be left in the wild. http://www.tortoise.org is the site for the California Turtle and Tortoise Club and can help with this sort of thing.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What state are you located in? Possibly Florida, southern Georgia, Alabama or Mississippi? The picture isn't really clear but it looks like a baby Gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus).
The species is Federally & State protected in the areas that it is found.

Xastur

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
What state are you located in? Possibly Florida, southern Georgia, Alabama or Mississippi? The picture isn't really clear but it looks like a baby Gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus).
The species is Federally & State protected in the areas that it is found.

In Florida im having her take two more pictures that are clearer so you guys can let me know for sure and i can let her know to release it if that is the case.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Its hard to tell because of the picture, but it looks to have a well defined nuchal scute, so you can rule out red or yellow foot. The 1st marginals dont appear to almost cup the nuchal scute, so I would rule out testudo. I'm guessing gopherus.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is a desert tortoise check your laws in florida about releasing, here in california, a california desert tortoise can't be released back into the wild once taken out.

On second look it looks like a sulcata to me.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That looks absolutely like a baby Florida Gopher. The way it is holding its little front legs is a sure sign to me - I saw that post a million times over the years that I had my little displaced Gopher.

When we see the new pics, we will know for sure.

It is 100% imperative that if it is a Gopher and she releases it, it needs to be put back EXACTLY where she found it. EXACTLY. Otherwise it will likely die.

Now, I did say that I had a Gopher, but my situation was different. I live in Michigan, and someone else had picked him up on vacation and brought him back here. Because he was unable to be released I was allowed to be his caretaker. It is highly illegal for you to keep a Gopher in FL. Not only that, but they are endangered and the right thing to do is to leave them in the wild where they can pass down their genes.

Xastur

5 Year Member
Alright here are the new pictures sorry it took so long. If it is indeed a native tortoise what is the best plan of action for my aunt to take?

Attachments

• Turtle-1.jpg
    Turtle-1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Turtle-2.jpg
    Turtle-2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Turtle-3.jpg
    Turtle-3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Turtle-4.jpg
    Turtle-4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 31

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's definitely at Gopher tortoise. As long as the tortoise hasn't been exposed to other tortoises or equipment used with other captive tortoises while it's been in captivity it's safe to release it into the area that it was found. If it has been exposed to other tortoises (or any equipment shared) while in captivity the risk of bacterial or viral transfer always has to be assumed. In this case the tortoise should go to a licensed wild life rehabilitator or other state approved facility. Foreign bacteria or viruses introduced to wild populations can be detrimental to the wild population.

Status
Not open for further replies.