Tortoise FASCINATED with guitar amp

KassidySharp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto Ontario
I have a 5 year old cherry head tortoise named Lou! His enclosure is in the living room in my basement. My stepfather is an avid guitar player and has numerous guitars and amps in the room with Lou. About a year or so ago my tortoise has become captivated with a big Randall amp. As soon as you let him out of the tank he speed walks all the way to the amp and immediately starts grunting and trying to climb it. After he's done that, he just sits back and stares at the amp for literally HOURS. My family can't think of any reason why he'd be so interested in it. I wondered if it was giving off a vibration or frequency so I unplugged it but nothing changed, Lou was still obsessed with it. Another time I experimented and covered it with a blanket and Lou walked away from it within 3 seconds of it being covered. Does anyone know why he could be so fascinated with this thing? It's super cute and harmless but I just want to know why ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497627814.719199.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497627822.922489.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I have a 5 year old cherry head tortoise named Lou! His enclosure is in the living room in my basement. My stepfather is an avid guitar player and has numerous guitars and amps in the room with Lou. About a year or so ago my tortoise has become captivated with a big Randall amp. As soon as you let him out of the tank he speed walks all the way to the amp and immediately starts grunting and trying to climb it. After he's done that, he just sits back and stares at the amp for literally HOURS. My family can't think of any reason why he'd be so interested in it. I wondered if it was giving off a vibration or frequency so I unplugged it but nothing changed, Lou was still obsessed with it. Another time I experimented and covered it with a blanket and Lou walked away from it within 3 seconds of it being covered. Does anyone know why he could be so fascinated with this thing? It's super cute and harmless but I just want to know why View attachment 210435View attachment 210436
Very cute, but what I want to know is ... how do you keep him from soiling your carpet???.... also take your temp gun (if you haven't already) and check the temp at your floor level. If it's 80F, you're good, just don't let him out of your sight for solit second. They are very nosy and curious, like toddlers want to put EVERYTHING in their mouth which often ends up being a medical or surgical emergency. Another problem (other than cold temps, ingesting foreign bodies or poisons) with torts sharing our living space (instead being safely kept in their enclosures) is other pets (mainly dogs) who are frequent culprits of severe traumatic injuries in torts, and it's not their fault, they just want to play. Our job is to keep all of our vulnerable family members (children, anyone with disability and pets) safe at ALL TIMES. I let my torts out on the floor in my kitchen right after we bring them in from their garden, and if I happen to be cooking and working on some tasty morsels, I'll cut off some small pieces and put them on my "tort cutting board" (used only for that) and let them sample. This is only for 10-15 min just to let them eat bcs as soon as they have their fill they start wandering off, and there is big pee puddles and poo piles... in my kitchen!!!! But that's ok, I love my torts and have system now to deal with it, straight from their they go into their tub for their nightly bath where their core temp is raised to at least 88-89F, then supper is served and they eat again before going to sleep in their 80F / 89% humid hides. The point of this story is: all of us tort keepers do what works for us and our pets, and it's ALL OK as long as our pets are protected from harm.

KassidySharp

5 Year Member
Toronto Ontario
I see how this could have been misinterpreted but I keep him in a tank in my basement, I only let him out when I am down there watching TV or cleaning, etc. he is supervised at all times! After Lou got passed the age of 2 or so, he stopped eating everything like a toddler does and only likes to wander and stare at his amp. He'll only eat if I place his food down on the carpet in his dish. As for soiling on the carpet it has happened a couple of times, but I just clean it and soak the carpet immediately after

Pearly

5 Year Member
I see how this could have been misinterpreted but I keep him in a tank in my basement, I only let him out when I am down there watching TV or cleaning, etc. he is supervised at all times! After Lou got passed the age of 2 or so, he stopped eating everything like a toddler does and only likes to wander and stare at his amp. He'll only eat if I place his food down on the carpet in his dish. As for soiling on the carpet it has happened a couple of times, but I just clean it and soak the carpet immediately after
Haha! You've got him well trained then! :)

SaraP

Northern CA
I wonder if he can see some components behind that black cover and is fascinated by them or maybe there's something shiny there that he sees? Or maybe the fabric smells like something particularly tasty to him?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
the scientist in me say that its probably the magnetic components of the amp that are lure. Many species of turtles navigate by natural magnetic fields . The romantic in me says Lou has just found the biggest (even if a little square) girl in the world; and cannot take his eyes off her.
:) :) :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
the scientist in me say that its probably the magnetic components of the amp that are lure. Many species of turtles navigate by natural magnetic fields . The romantic in me says Lou has just found the biggest (even if a little square) girl in the world; and cannot take his eyes off her.
Very interesting... I thought it may have been the sound waves drawing him near it, but then there was not a mention of the sound being even on.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I thought that speakers used electromagnets, not permanent ones? That would mean that there would not be a magnetic field unless the amp was emitting a sound at the time.

Last edited:

KassidySharp

5 Year Member
Toronto Ontario

Hahah I love it!! Either guess is good enough for me thanks