Tortoise eating normally but not active?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nupek

5 Year Member
Hi,
for the past three days my leopard tortoise has considerably reduced his activity. It literally either sits in the hiding or under the basking lamp or eats. Before he would roam the terrarium for whole day between feeding time. Seems to be a bit lethargic but eats normally and drinks. There were no changes in food or general handling. No strange sounds coming from him or liquid from nose. When to take him to a vet? Should I leave lights on for night? What to check for?
nupek.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Please do not leave your lights on at night. Using a night heat source, like a CHE is ok.

How old is your leopard?

Does it get any outside time in a safe secure enclosure?

What are the indoor enclosure temperatures?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

nupek

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Please do not leave your lights on at night. Using a night heat source, like a CHE is ok.

How old is your leopard?

Does it get any outside time in a safe secure enclosure?

What are the indoor enclosure temperatures?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Hi,
he is 2 years old. There is CHE on during the night that keeps temps at 26C. We take him for 1 hour outside for a walk. The temperature in indoor enclosure did not change for the past days and ranges from 32 to 26. Tortoise appears to be only eating and sleeping. When we took him out on Sunday it was a bit windy so we made the walk short but it could not probably develop into sickness that quickly anyway? I'm mostly concerned with what to observe and how to check the tortoise to rule out some most dangerous situation.

I think he is now "stretching" a lot and maybe yawning more often.

Also, if it was something related to food poisoning (which I don't think happened - we have a good control over tortoise food and access to dangerous plants when outside), would he still eat or rather avoid food?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you get him outside for longer periods if its warm? A kiddie pool will even work for an enclosure. Also your indoor temps need to be (you can convert into c) 95f+for basking, and all over day time 75-80f and nights I wouldn't do no lower then 75f that's for a two year old. Are you soaking him in warm water 1-2 times a week and does he have water available 24/7

nupek

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Can you get him outside for longer periods if its warm? A kiddie pool will even work for an enclosure. Also your indoor temps need to be (you can convert into c) 95f+for basking, and all over day time 75-80f and nights I wouldn't do no lower then 75f that's for a two year old. Are you soaking him in warm water 1-2 times a week and does he have water available 24/7
Hi,
I need to choose days carefully as even in summer it can be quite cold. Soaked every other day, there is a dish with water always available and cleaned daily where the whole tortoise can fit in. I noticed a drastic drop in activity on Monday but since he was eating normally, I thought it was just a day, two and he will be fine again. Then it's Wednesday already and tortoise is mostly asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.