Tortoise behavior: runs over to me enthusiastically, but non aggressively. cuddles up. then pee's on me?

TheRed365

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello,

My tortoise has always done this thing where as soon as he sees me he trots over. Usually he climbs on my feet or if I'm sitting down messing with something in his enclosure he'll nestle close. He usually sticks out his neck for scratches or rubs his shell against my hand until I pet him a little. Definitely doesn't seem aggressive, (no butting or anything like that) and hes done it more and more since he's gotten more comfortable with me over the past year or so.
But lately he's added peeing to the act. He gets in close, climbs into my lap for a bit, and then starts peeing.

Is this normal defensive behavior? He's not responding in the same way he does when he's scared (head completely out of his shell and as far as I can tell he's relaxed) and he seeks me out. But while I had plenty of animal behavior classes back in school, I only know as much as to know I shouldn't jump to conclusions or personify.

Why do you think he could be doing this?

4 y/o leopard tortoise, roughly 10 inches.

Thank you!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Our Hermanns tortoise runs up to me in the same way, and climbs on my foot - if I'm sitting down, he will often sit on my foot, stroking it, someyimes for ages. During this time he sometimes pees, but I assume it is just that he is feeling relaxed and comfortable. -I have never thought about it being defensive. He doesn't pee in my lap usually, but then I tend to leave him on my foot, while I'm sitting in a chair.
Angie

TheRed365

Kansas
Our Hermanns tortoise runs up to me in the same way, and climbs on my foot - if I'm sitting down, he will often sit on my foot, stroking it, someyimes for ages. During this time he sometimes pees, but I assume it is just that he is feeling relaxed and comfortable. -I have never thought about it being defensive. He doesn't pee in my lap usually, but then I tend to leave him on my foot, while I'm sitting in a chair.
Angie
Glad to know I'm not alone. And I wouldn't say he's in my lap perse when it happens but he does like to climb on me before finding a comfy spot or something and settling down. My girlfriend calls him an egg because every time I squat down to do something he runs and nestles up between me an the ground like he wants to be incubated haha

zolasmum

5 Year Member
What sort of tortoise is he? He sounds a very friendly chap, and that's great! Does he react to your girlfriend this way? Or to other people?
Zola is quite ok with my husband, but he doesn't seek the physical touching as much - and he lets other people hold him, or stroke him, if we are right beside them.
I would love to see your tortoise trying to be incubated by you - Zola will hang around, but not actually try to get underneath us !
Angie

AmandaF

Congresbury
Ernie my leopard tortoise likes to sit with me & often wee’s on me. It took some getting used to but she seems to like to be close to me as well.

amanda x

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I did briefly own an adult male Redfoot that was raised by an elderly Columbian lady that interacted with him daily.
He'd run to me and I swear. He seemed to like being touched and even picked up. But if I did pick him up, I couldn't count to 5 before the pee and poop started.
(I found him another home where he is the center of attention)
Apparently tortoise etiquette isn't the same as humans.

TheRed365

Kansas
What sort of tortoise is he? He sounds a very friendly chap, and that's great! Does he react to your girlfriend this way? Or to other people?
Zola is quite ok with my husband, but he doesn't seek the physical touching as much - and he lets other people hold him, or stroke him, if we are right beside them.
I would love to see your tortoise trying to be incubated by you - Zola will hang around, but not actually try to get underneath us !
Angie
Leopard Tortoise, occasionally treats my girlfriend the same way but without near the enthusiasm

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's most likely what Yvonne said or they are stressed or they want you out and that's how they can bully/mark where they don't want you.
Most likely not because they want or enjoy a "cuddle". A tortoise "cuddling" is bullying.
I know, I peed on your human emotions placed on a tortoise, sorry.