Tortoise attacked by animal, he's okay, but input needed

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Exactly what my dad said. I was just crying and crying because it was such a horrible thing to see. My dad left him under a bush so he would be hidden from any other animals and I wouldn't have to watch him die. It's really just awful.
Im so sorry. I think thats one of the appropriate times to put it out of its misery, if it was that bad. Now i feel terrible. :(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So sorry. Hope to hear your tort is now better.

OldManRivers

Thanks everyone. Ya, the dog is the most likely suspect. Pretty sure she did it. Morty was in an elevated habitat that was netted off, which we thought would protect him. Its sad that we were wrong. the next habitiat will be fully rigid with an electric fence around it. It will be bullet proof.
THe vet said he's going to be okay. the shell was pretty damaged around the lower edge only, which is actually good news - could have been a lot worse. We have to give him needle shots for anti biotics daily for a little while, topical oinment, oral pain meds, keep him fully cleaned and out of the dirt. It's going to take a little bit, and he is pretty shooken up :( but he is going to be alright.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen my share of badly injured tortoises. They are remarkably resilient. Be sure to continue following your vet's directions and the tortoise should be fine. Remember to soak the tortoise daily to help flush out his kidneys during the administration of the antibiotics. Soaking will also help keep the wound clean.

OldManRivers

I've seen my share of badly injured tortoises. They are remarkably resilient. Be sure to continue following your vet's directions and the tortoise should be fine. Remember to soak the tortoise daily to help flush out his kidneys during the administration of the antibiotics. Soaking will also help keep the wound clean.
Yes, good info, the vet said to soak him daily, which we will be doing. We will def be following all the vets instrucitons. We are going to make sure he gets better.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Great news!! I'm glad he's doing okay. Sorry about my hijack, I forgot to specify that the tort I saw was in much worse shape than yours. Hope I didn't worry you.

Don't know much about leopards, but for other species it's a good idea to keep them warmer to boost their immune system and help those antibiotics along.

I wonder if a loose wire mesh on the top of the enclosure (widely spaced, wide enough to not block UVB) could be helpful just in case it IS a bird that did this.

Wisconsin
I just want to add that your meatball looks like a sulcata, not a leopard! But I am glad he is on his way to recovery, very cute

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Exactly what my dad said. I was just crying and crying because it was such a horrible thing to see. My dad left him under a bush so he would be hidden from any other animals and I wouldn't have to watch him die. It's really just awful.
Horrific thing to witness even as an adult let alone a child! Some peoples ideas are beyond what I would like to call sane. Clearly!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just want to add that your meatball looks like a sulcata, not a leopard! But I am glad he is on his way to recovery, very cute
The injured tort (Morty) in this thread is a leopard, not a sulcata. The pic another member posted of their own tort is of a baby sulcata.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just came across this thread. So sorry this happened. So glad he will be okay. About your dog. He was only doing what comes natural. Not his fault or yours. You had your tort protected, you thought and most of us would have thought the netting would have been enough too. Hope people that think torts and dogs can be together, will come across this thread and learn, that even with protection the dog was able to get to the tort. So that without protection, the tort is a meal waiting to be eaten.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and he's back to normal acting soon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the dog was just being a dog please don't blame it. you know the old saying Fish Gotta swim Birds gotta eat well dogs have to chew