Tortoise acting strangely

Annac

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
I'm a new russian tortoise owner (just got him this morning) and I'm slightly concerned as he isn't eating/drinking and whenever I put him anywhere on the table he moves into the corner and faces the wall and then scratches the wall when I leave. He's one year old and lives indoors in the UK. What could be wrong? Is this unusual? Thanks :) Anna

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
This is totaly normal. He is new & scared. It will take him time to get use to a new environment some take days, some weeks. Put him in his enclosure and give him a place to hide so that he feels safe. At this point he thinks you are a big giant monster who will eat him:) over time he will see you as the wonderful god that brings the food & he will relax.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Russians are awesome give him time :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Playing hard to get???? lol, just playin, yup it will take awhile for the tort to settle in...so the more rigid of a routine you offer him the better...torts are so a creature of habit...

kezilulu

Even now 4 months on Sheldon (my Russian) loves to face the wall lol
But like everyone's said once he relaxes and realises you bring food he'll be running over to you like you're the best thing since sliced bread lol
xXx