Tort difficulties

Kaidync

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hi, this is kind of a general question for my leopard tortoise. He’s nearly two and a half years old, and has always been really shy but I could still interact with him to a certain degree, I somewhat recently switched him from a tank to a tort table, because he started to grow to big for the tank, and now I hardly see him walk around as much and he generally sits in one corner for most of the day, and basically won’t eat from my hand anymore.

So I was wondering if anyone had and suggestions or answers as to why, and what I could do to fix this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, this is kind of a general question for my leopard tortoise. He’s nearly two and a half years old, and has always been really shy but I could still interact with him to a certain degree, I somewhat recently switched him from a tank to a tort table, because he started to grow to big for the tank, and now I hardly see him walk around as much and he generally sits in one corner for most of the day, and basically won’t eat from my hand anymore.

So I was wondering if anyone had and suggestions or answers as to why, and what I could do to fix this.
Tortoise tables are unsuitable for most species. Unless room temp and humidity is what your tortoise needs, then open topped enclosures don't work.

You have three things working against you:
1. This species tends to be very shy.
2. A change in environment upsets any tortoise and they take time to get used to the new area. He's not "home" anymore and he doesn't know where he is.
3. Its probably too cool for him. Trying to heat and humidify an open table is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. It can't work.

AmandaF

Congresbury
Welcome to the forum. There is a care sheet for leopards & sulcata tortoise on the forum. If you put search leopard tortoise care & it will take you to the care Sheet, please let us know how you get on. The people on here are very knowledgeable
amanda.

Kaidync

NY
Tortoise tables are unsuitable for most species. Unless room temp and humidity is what your tortoise needs, then open topped enclosures don't work.

You have three things working against you:
1. This species tends to be very shy.
2. A change in environment upsets any tortoise and they take time to get used to the new area. He's not "home" anymore and he doesn't know where he is.
3. Its probably too cool for him. Trying to heat and humidify an open table is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. It can't work.
Thank you I will do a better job with the heating and the moisture, I knew they were shy already he just used to be more active and interactive with me, but it is very warm where he’s located but maybe not on the table. I’ll try these and see if anything changes.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you I will do a better job with the heating and the moisture, I knew they were shy already he just used to be more active and interactive with me, but it is very warm where he’s located but maybe not on the table. I’ll try these and see if anything changes.

Thanks for your help!
I see you joined a month ago, but this may offer some insight:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure the correct temps and humidity is actually correct at the torts level.
When all that is correct, give him time to get used to his new home and to realize he is still safe.