Too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I've had my Sulcata for about 4-5 months now. I was told that it was almost 2 when he was given to me. He was about 3 1/2 inches long when I got him and he was mildly pyramided. He is about 5 inches now and only about 9 ounces and the pyramiding has not gotten worse however shouldn't a 2 year old Sulcata be larger? My aunt happens to have 2 of this little ones siblings from the same clutch and they are almost twice the size of my guy. The people who had Mr. Turtle before me only fed him a few times a week and only fed him romaine lettuce and spring mix so I'm sure that's why. Is he stunted? Should I be feeding him a lot more or should I not be worried? I feed him almost everyday and he has a varied diet.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364187256.585521.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364187270.584636.jpg

Here's pictures of the top of his shell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
he is definitely small.

my 11 month old leopard tortoise is that size.

SmileyKylie623 said:
I feed him almost everyday

IMO, I don't like this. I give my tortoises constant access to food. Their outdoor pens are heavily overgrown with various things and when inside they always have a pile of food.

At that size (regardless of age) I'd be raising him with the Hot/Humid conditions described in "The End of Pyramiding" Thread. I'd also be feeding him as much as he wants COMBINED with lots of access to a nicely planted outdoor pen.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Team Gomberg said:
he is definitely small.

my 11 month old leopard tortoise is that size.

SmileyKylie623 said:
I feed him almost everyday

IMO, I don't like this. I give my tortoises constant access to food. Their outdoor pens are heavily overgrown with various things and when inside they always have a pile of food.

At that size (regardless of age) I'd be raising him with the Hot/Humid conditions described in "The End of Pyramiding" Thread. I'd also be feeding him as much as he wants COMBINED with lots of access to a nicely planted outdoor pen.

He is outside everyday now that it is nice out here in AZ. He does have his choice of weeds while outside as well. Ill start feeding him everyday and spraying down his enclosure more often. He is in a 54 gal Rubbermaid at night that I keep moist and warm at night as well.
Thank you!

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I have a 2 year old sulcata that is only outside in the summer since I live in MI but she is 7.5inches and over 3lbs. So I would say he/she is definitely small but they do all grow at different rates. I do also feed mine everyday, food is always available.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Wow! That's a big difference! I'd say this guys siblings are about the same size as yours. I think there are a lot of variables that could have caused this such as improper care for the first year and a half of his life, him not being as old as the original owners were told, and the list goes on and on. Since I started putting him out during the day he seems stressed and is not eating as much. This worries me too. Other than the decrease in eating he appears fine. Hopefully he will calm down here soon since he has been in this new enclosure for about 2 weeks. I try not to fuss with him too much either because it seems to freak him out too.

What's really heart breaking is I remember when my neighbors got him. He was so friendly and outgoing and I'm pretty sure that after the novelty wore off they ignored him.

My plan is too just keep him moist and warm and to always keep more food within reach (he does have weeds and a little patch of grass that he can eat).

Liam Owen

5 Year Member
Bloomington Indiana
I also have a pretty small tort, my Sue is only 50 oz and is around eight months old it might just be how the rate is different with different torts like in your case, but do u by any chance remember the size of your tort around 6months, anyone??

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Liam Owen said:
I also have a pretty small tort, my Sue is only 50 oz and is around eight months old it might just be how the rate is different with different torts like in your case, but do u by any chance remember the size of your tort around 6months, anyone??

I did not have my tort when he was 6 months. I got him when he was roughly 1 1/2. I am not even 100% sure how old he is. That's just the estimate that was given to me when I got him. Hopefully someone can answer you. Tom maybe?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes he is on the small side, but don't worry about it. Just give him the best diet and care you can. The past is the past. No way to know if he is permanently stunted or just off to a slow start. Lots of hydration and lots of the right foods will help either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.