Time under the heat lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, VA
First off I want to say that I've been reading these forums for weeks now and find all the information very helpful! This seems to be a great community.

I recently purchased a Russian Tortoise and I'm using a 100w Powersun UV with his turtle table. How many hours is normal for a tortoise to spend under the heat lamp? I might just be a paranoid new mom but he seems to be under it most of the day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi saberfire06 and welcome to the Forum!!

Do you have a temperature gun? You need to know the temperature all over the whole habitat - on the floor, not up higher than the tortoise. Maybe he's not warm enough elsewhere.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
emysemys said:
Hi saberfire06 and welcome to the Forum!!

Do you have a temperature gun? You need to know the temperature all over the whole habitat - on the floor, not up higher than the tortoise. Maybe he's not warm enough elsewhere.

I do and the temperature is around 95 under the lamp.

On a un related note I see your from Clovis, CA! I live in VA now but I'm from Visalia and lived there most of my life. :)

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
I could love if other Russian tort owners could share the average time their torts spend under the lamp so I can make sure theres nothing I need to change.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Mine usually basks in the morning and then after she eats. I keep a heating pad under her hide though.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
My Eloise only comes out from the light to eat. and explore a bit and then right back under the light I even moved her hide closer to the ligh because she like to burrow there. Most of her habitat ranges between 70-80 degrees and under her basking light it a steady 95 with about a 6 inch diameter around that is 90 and decreasing from there. She is more active when she is looking for food or right after a soak.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
Eloise said:
My Eloise only comes out from the light to eat. and explore a bit and then right back under the light I even moved her hide closer to the ligh because she like to burrow there. Most of her habitat ranges between 70-80 degrees and under her basking light it a steady 95 with about a 6 inch diameter around that is 90 and decreasing from there. She is more active when she is looking for food or right after a soak.

Thank for the reply about Eloise! It helped put my mind at rest a bit about Dantes behavior. He is just like Eloise where he comes out of the light to eat. I have a tortoise table where there is a giant built in hide for him but he never goes in. I think it might be to cold in there for him.

I'm glad Eloise likes to burrow under where the heat lamp is because that exactly what Dante has been doing every night as well. I think I might buy him a seperate log hide and place it in the area.

Thank you again for your reply about Eloise, I will sleep better now!

Status
Not open for further replies.