Thinking of adopting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveTilWeLaugh

5 Year Member
Hey, so I am thinking of adopting a Hermann Tort. I recently owned a baby Sulcata named Scooter, but he died from parasites, etc. from his time with the breeder. :( I got pretty used to taking care of him and I would like another tort. I'm considering a Hermann's because it seems like the personalities are similar and the size is a LOT more manageable in the long run. But I was curious about the differences between raising a Sulcata and Hermann.

My questions:
What's the best thing to keep them in? I know some people have glass fish tanks, some have rubbermaid tubs. I had Scooter in a large tortoise table I built myself, but it's my understanding that Hermanns need more humidity? That would be difficult to achieve on a table.

What's the best food to feed them? Is Mazuri ok?

What temps do they need to stay at?

Do they burrow?

Do they hibernate?

How long do they live? (I've heard anywhere from 20 years to 100 years so I'm confused)

Any special considerations?

Substrates?

MOST IMPORTANT: What are some big no-no's that people have found?

Thanks guys!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Sulcata and Hermann's have quite a few differences in terms of requirements. All of the Hermann's subspecies are from the Northern Mediterranean coastal countries as well as the Eastern Hermann's being farther north into Romania and Bulgaria. Hermann's are a temperate climate species whereas Sulcata are an arid climate species. Their temperature & general humidity requirements are different, their food can be similar.

The best foods to feed them is a good quality, varied diet of about 80% greens, 20% mixed vegetables. Mazuri and other pellet foods are okay as an occasional supplement once a week or more but should not be the basis of any tortoises diet.

Their normal activity temperatures during the daytime should be in the 72-80 degree range with a basking temperature of 90-100 degrees. Night time temperatures should be 15-20 degrees cooler than the daytime temperatures. In the 55-62 degree range. Occasionally warmer is fine but should not be constant. Humidity, which is equally important should be in the 50-70% range. Occasionally higher is fine too. As well as ambient air humidity they should be kept well hydrated by keeping the substrate slightly moist and have constant access to drinking water.

They do not burrow but will make use of existing tunnels and shelters. Babies, as with babies of all species, will often bury themselves in the substrate to retain body moisture and for security.

They do brumate (hibernate) in the wild but it is not necessary to do in captivity unless you wish to.

They may live up to 80-100 years, possibly longer.

Substrate for babies can consist of organic potting soil straight or mixed with about 30% coconut coir. Whatever soil used needs to retain some moisture and be easy to dig in. For adults cypress mulch works well.

LiveTilWeLaugh

5 Year Member
Thank you so much!

What do you keep yours in? a tortoise table? Some other container?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
When they're indoors and awake (not brumating) adults are housed in 2' x 6' x 12" high wooden, painted enclosures containing cypress mulch as a substrate. Babies and young tortoises up to about 2.5-4" inches are housed in 2' x 4' x 12" high wooden, painted enclosures containing a mixture organic soil and finer cypress mulch. Babies up to about 2.5" are housed in Rubbermaid style sweater boxes measuring approximately 16" x 26" x 6" containing an organic soil and coconut coir substrate. The wooden enclosures are essentially tortoise tables.
From about mid April through late October they are all outdoors in naturally planted enclosures.
Here's a few photos to give you an idea of the indoor enclosures that I'm referring to:

enclosure-2.jpg

enclosure-9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.