There's gotta be a better way to house!

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
I have 2 redfoot torts, one is about a year and a half and the other's age is unknown, but she is the size of my hand. The bookshelf is definitely larger than 2' x 3' but I don't know the exact dimensions.

I'm thinking that if I can separate them, the 2 enclosures will provide enough space for each so they will be comfortable until I move, at which point I will have income to build them nice big tort tables and outdoor enclosures - they can be kept outdoors most of the year here, we barely have a winter. I haven't put them outside yet because my apartment is super sketchy and I worry about a person, raccoon, possum, or the feral gang of stray cats hurting them... the enclosure will be covered of course but I still worry.

I have some seeds I can plant, but won't the torts just eat them as they are sprouting? I can definitely add some hides though, I have clay pots that seem to work well.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
They will eat them...and that is ok!! Can you post pics of the bookshelf?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
They will eat them...and that is ok!! Can you post pics of the bookshelf?

But... if they eat them, how will the plants grow to make a 'rainforest' habitat?

Attached is pictures of the bookcase. I also have the plastic tub, which is about 3.5' x 2'... The bookshelf is pretty terrible, particle board crap I found by a dumpster. But I figure if I wrap / cover everything in shower liner it will be ok for a little bit - as Lyn suggested, I can have something prepped in case I start seeing signs of aggression. Plus, if I separate them into 2 enclosures then I don't need to buy / build a larger enclosure right now - one can live in the bookcase and one can live in the aquarium tank (for now). I'm in the process of rearranging my entire tiny apartment so that I can have a place to lay the bookcase flat that is out of reach of the dogs, then project bookcase is a go!

Attachments

• bookcase.jpg
    bookcase.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 19

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Wow, you're concerns have been well addressed. Glass tanks are only a compromise for their weight and that maybe that leads to smaller foot print enclosures. Glass is okay.

Yeah, I like that it keeps the humidity up (once I covered it), though it does look kind of weird with the painters tape around the bottom, but I didn't want the babies to get stressed out. I just want to make sure they have enough room to be comfortable...

And really, that 75 gallon tank was always meant to be temporary for them because I plan making it the permanent home for my bearded dragon as soon as I can upgrade the torts to a more spacious habitat. :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
So after covering the entire thing and not using the basking bulb I have a constant temp of 80-85 in the tank, and constant humidity of 80%. So I am really excited about that!

I'm not able to set up a second enclosure right now because of costs of heating and lighting, but I do have large plastic bins for extending the tank.

I'm still doubtful about liner because one of them does really like to burrow, but I'll never know until I try it! Shower curtain liners are like $2 at walmart so I'm working on lining an old bookcase as a second enclosure for when I can afford the rest of the set up - it's complicated by the fact that I don't have a hardcore stapler, ugh. I could buy a cement tub, but the bookself is larger and I already have it.

Can I mix in organic soil with the cypress mulch for their substrate? I have some sitting around, and the cypress is so expensive.

Thanks everyone.

I have a pond liner with a chunky butt Redfoot and she scratches the walls like crazy, but in my 3 years of having her she has never ripped it. Pond liner is super thick and heavy duty.

I use coconut coir for bedding because it doesn't mold, she can dig with no issues, she can eat it, and it retains moisture. Plus it's cheap in brick form.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
But... if they eat them, how will the plants grow to make a 'rainforest' habitat?

Attached is pictures of the bookcase. I also have the plastic tub, which is about 3.5' x 2'... The bookshelf is pretty terrible, particle board crap I found by a dumpster. But I figure if I wrap / cover everything in shower liner it will be ok for a little bit - as Lyn suggested, I can have something prepped in case I start seeing signs of aggression. Plus, if I separate them into 2 enclosures then I don't need to buy / build a larger enclosure right now - one can live in the bookcase and one can live in the aquarium tank (for now). I'm in the process of rearranging my entire tiny apartment so that I can have a place to lay the bookcase flat that is out of reach of the dogs, then project bookcase is a go!

Aloes can be fed to rf...family dollar has fake plants a dollar each and a 3dollar plant that has more stems to it...

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Regarding your enclosure...that is not enough space for even 1 of them...how do you plan on retaining the humidity and temps inside?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Regarding your enclosure...that is not enough space for even 1 of them...how do you plan on retaining the humidity and temps inside?

Well, right now they are sharing a 4' x 1.5' space. If I leave one in there, and move one to the bookshelf (2' x 3') then individually they would have more space, right? This is only meant to be temporary. I'll have to cover it to retain humidity, and buy a CHE and humidifier.... which I can't do right now, but I figured I might as well start with the enclosure. If I can find a saw I might be able to connect the plastic bin and bookcase.... we'll see

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I applaud your effort.. If you lived in nyc...I would build you a double decker for them.I have a good friend who owns a hardware store:)) :)) .you could use a shower liner to trap humidity and keep the temps up..do you remove the shelves out the book case yet?? I would like to see it set up when you have it ready!

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I have a pond liner with a chunky butt Redfoot and she scratches the walls like crazy, but in my 3 years of having her she has never ripped it. Pond liner is super thick and heavy duty.

I use coconut coir for bedding because it doesn't mold, she can dig with no issues, she can eat it, and it retains moisture. Plus it's cheap in brick form.

Ooooh, I have some ecoearth left over from a terrarium build - I didn't realize you could use that for torts! What do you think about a mix of organic potting soil and coconut coir, topped with spagnum moss and cypress mulch? Trying to use things I have on hand. :)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That is their ideal flooring..look into ernest johnson on youtube.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I applaud your effort.. If you lived in nyc...I would build you a double decker for them.I have a good friend who owns a hardware store:)) :)) .you could use a shower liner to trap humidity and keep the temps up..do you remove the shelves out the book case yet?? I would like to see it set up when you have it ready!

Yeah, I think I'm going to stick to shower liner because it is the cheapest. I'll definitely post pics, bit it's probably gonna be the most ghetto enclosure ever, hahahaha. I wish the lights and fixtures weren't so dang expensive! Due to my financial situation, I had to rehome my turtle already - she is living happily in a science classroom, but I really don't want to lose anyone else. But I do have the fixtures and lights I was using for her. Too bad the coil bulbs are bad for torts, sigh.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Aloes can be fed to rf...family dollar has fake plants a dollar each and a 3dollar plant that has more stems to it...

I think I will plant some in the new space, see how it works out. Since I already have seeds. How do you provide adequate light without disturbing the torts? I have this grow bulb (from an aquaponics system I had set up). The light is like a purple-ish color. Will it bother the torts?

Y'all, I appreciate everyones input - I feel like I'm being a huge pain in the rump, so thank you thank you thank you to everyone who has been giving me input

Attachments

• IMG_20170113_092226.jpg
    IMG_20170113_092226.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 9

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Things will get better...stay positive..I am sorry you had to lose one of them..just jeep spreading your resume around...you will net one..

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
This is my set up..we have a uvb bulb and 2 che heaters...redfoots dont bask...they live in the amazon, dense forrest with high humidity..they get their uv consumption bounced off of surfaces...

Attachments

• download_20170106_114113.jpg
    download_20170106_114113.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 12

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Things will get better...stay positive..I am sorry you had to lose one of them..just jeep spreading your resume around...you will net one..

Thanks for the kind words! I'm not too discouraged yet (ever the optomist), just trying to stay on top of my animal husbandry while I'm beating the pavement. :) Apparently the kids absolutely love the turtle, so I'm not too bummed - though my bearded dragon does miss his primary source of entertainment! Hahaha! He loved to perch on his hammock and watch the turtle tank with hunger in his eyes...

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
OK, so the torts have been separated for a week now in 2 different enclosures, and they are both acting different.... they used to be pretty active, but now they each just hide in a corner of their respective enclosures. And they are barely eating at all. So I don't know what to do.

I left Alice in the original enclosure and moved Janis to a new enclosure set up exactly the same way, except with eco-earth mixed into the cypress substrate.

Are they stressed because they are separate? We did move, so it could be relocation stress but the move was a week ago. Other than that the only change is in their schedule - I moisten the substrate and set food out at 7 am now instead of 10 am. I'm worried because they are not eating and they used to eat like little pigs.