There's gotta be a better way to house!

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
So after getting some recommendations based on a previous post and making changes to the enclosure, I feel like it's a mess. I am unemployed and trying to do the best with what I have to house my redfoot torts. I know glass enclosures are the least desirable, but unfortunately that is what I have and i don't have the means to make a new enclosure. I do take them outside for supervised outdoors time as much as I can to try and compensate, but their outdoors time only consists of a substrate lined box, as my apartment doesn't have a safe grassy area for them to roam.... and it's cold out so they aren't getting a lot of time outside.

I have multiple temp gauges to make sure they don't get overheated, and multiple humidity gauges. The tank is partially covered, not shown in the pics. I have: humidifier, CHE with temp controller, basking bulb, substrate is cypress mulch and sphagnum moss. Prior to making these changes the temp gradient was 75-90 F, humidity gradient 60-80 percent. With the changes as shown in pics and the new cover I'm hoping to have better control of temp and humidity.

Any suggestions so I can better keep the humidity up and make the tank a little more clean? As soon as I start working again and move my number one priority is to build an indoor and outdoor enclosure, but as of right now I'm limited to what I have.

Thanks y'all

15936876_10154657040540935_5473287578434684609_o.jpg 15844270_10154657040785935_324601649956777296_o.jpg 15875293_10154657041720935_1110965280180468705_o.jpg

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Oh, forgot to mention - I had a desklamp shining a UVB coil bulb into the enclosure, but based on recommendations I am no longer using that. They have no UVB now... and from my research I have found conflicting information on ifUVB light should be provided... so right now they have none.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would take out the red hiding place and move the half log back in that corner. Get rid of the coil shaped bulb and get a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb instead. You can strive for a overall temperature in that aquarium of 80-85F degrees, and try to keep the substrate moist underneath and dry on top. Covering the whole thing is a very good idea.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Yvonnes advice. Btw, those coil bulbs can damage eyes. At some point you could get a large plastic tote box. With a utility knife cut the one end of the aquarium in the corners where they are connected. Take that piece of glass out and connect the aquarium to the plastic tote. For about 25-30 bucks you will have doubled or more the space they have now which they really need more space as that space is barely big enough for one and I'm assuming there is at least two in there.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I would take out the red hiding place and move the half log back in that corner. Get rid of the coil shaped bulb and get a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb instead. You can strive for a overall temperature in that aquarium of 80-85F degrees, and try to keep the substrate moist underneath and dry on top. Covering the whole thing is a very good idea.

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. I keep the tank covered with towels except a small opening where the basking light is because when I cover the basking light as well the tank gets really hot - 100 F. Do I need a basking bulb if I have the CHE and the room gets a lot of light?

The tank is 4 feet long, so it creates a heat gradient... so would 80 degrees to 90 degrees be ok? That is what it has been since I added the CHE, but with my temp controller I could probably bump the temp up

daily I mist the substrate and turn it over with my hands so the bottom is thoroughly damp, and I just repositioned the humidifier so it is emitting fog into the middle of the tank, which will hopefully help with the ambient air humidity in the tank... the good thing about being unemployed is I am able to monitor the tank throughout the day, which has been helping me improve their habitat. Thanks again for the advice.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I second Yvonnes advice. Btw, those coil bulbs can damage eyes. At some point you could get a large plastic tote box. With a utility knife cut the one end of the aquarium in the corners where they are connected. Take that piece of glass out and connect the aquarium to the plastic tote. For about 25-30 bucks you will have doubled or more the space they have now which they really need more space as that space is barely big enough for one and I'm assuming there is at least two in there.

I thought coil bulbs were the ones that are physically coiled, is a normal basking bulb also a coil bulb? It is a Flukers basking bulb.

And that's a good idea for extending the tank, thank you. Yes, there are 2 in there the tank is 4 ft x 1.5 ft. I was unfortunately misinformed when I got my torts about what care they needed, and I am really trying to fix that. As I said in my original post, as soon as I have a source of income my ABSOLUTE FIRST PRIORITY is building them really large indoor and outdoor enclosures. In the meantime I will work on extending the tank as you suggested - I have some large plastic bins I can use.

Thank you so much for the advice.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I understand finances are tight right now. What makes a good and very cheap enclosure for a larger indoor one anyways is an old bookcase I usually find them at thrift stores and yard sales five or ten bucks. You want an old one because the new ones have pressed plywood backing and they do not last long. if they get out for sunlight once or twice a week couple hours each time, they're probably getting enough UVB right now.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I understand finances are tight right now. What makes a good and very cheap enclosure for a larger indoor one anyways is an old bookcase I usually find them at thrift stores and yard sales five or ten bucks. You want an old one because the new ones have pressed plywood backing and they do not last long. if they get out for sunlight once or twice a week couple hours each time, they're probably getting enough UVB right now.

I thought about that, but I would have to make it water resistant so it doesn't rot, right? The cost of sealants, plus a three week offgassing period, makes it prohibitive right now. I'm hoping in three weeks this will be a nonissue, if one of my interviews pans out.... I really want to build large stacked pens for indoors so i can consolidate floor space with my other critters, though those plans have to wait right now. :( Thanks for the input though!!!

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
View attachment 196661 View attachment 196663

We made both of these enclosures, for babies. The top, is the bookcase idea. We took the top off and covered the bookcase part, with pond liner.
The one below is used to water livestock. Bought it at a feed store and created the rest.

Have you had any problems with them tearing the liner? I really can't buy anything else right now, but I have an old particle board bookcase I thought about lining but they burrow into their substrate so I worry about them tearing through the liner when they burrow

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Maybe try deeper substrate?

You may need to separate the torts at some point and have 2 enclosures. Keep an eye out for bullying by the more dominant tort
e.g. following, staring, hogging the food, biting, barging etc. It can stress out the other tort and cause illness or injury especially in a small space where they can't avoid each other.
Have a look at this link so you know what to look out for.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...esson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/#post-875796

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
i don't believe redfoot are the type of tortoises to dig deep in their substrate.
I think any type of liner would be fine, but add a bit more substrate just to be sure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I agree with others on the liners and substrate. You can get a cheap 3 or 5 mil waterproof tarp that you can cut to size to cover the bottom and fold up and staple to the sides. Add another layer of liner, followed by a thick substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree a tarp or even a thicker shower curtain liner or two will work to keep the moisture off the wood. Pond liner works great, but not cheap. Btw, totally understand tight budget. Not a problem. Except for the heat and lighting, most everything else can be done a cheaper way. Thinkimg outside the box really helps to keep it cheap.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Maybe try deeper substrate?

You may need to separate the torts at some point and have 2 enclosures. Keep an eye out for bullying by the more dominant tort
e.g. following, staring, hogging the food, biting, barging etc. It can stress out the other tort and cause illness or injury especially in a small space where they can't avoid each other.
Have a look at this link so you know what to look out for.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...esson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/#post-875796

Thank you, that's a really interesting thread. So far there hasn't been any signs of agression, but they are also pretty small right now. I will definitely keep an eye out!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you, that's a really interesting thread. So far there hasn't been any signs of agression, but they are also pretty small right now. I will definitely keep an eye out!
It is really subtle bullying, and you may not even realise its happening, but torts are territorial and don't like friends or competition. The more passive tort fails to thrive and can become ill or even die.

But forewarned is forearmed and maybe you could start to make preparations to separate them rather than have the sudden unexpected expense of setting up a second enclosure.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Hi and welcomed...I could not see the size of your torts...could you spare about 25bucks right now? Cement tubs at homedepot could be a very cheap way to go...they are 3x2 and 8in deep....Im guessing those are yearlings you have and never have to worry about lining it...

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
So after covering the entire thing and not using the basking bulb I have a constant temp of 80-85 in the tank, and constant humidity of 80%. So I am really excited about that!

I'm not able to set up a second enclosure right now because of costs of heating and lighting, but I do have large plastic bins for extending the tank.

I'm still doubtful about liner because one of them does really like to burrow, but I'll never know until I try it! Shower curtain liners are like $2 at walmart so I'm working on lining an old bookcase as a second enclosure for when I can afford the rest of the set up - it's complicated by the fact that I don't have a hardcore stapler, ugh. I could buy a cement tub, but the bookself is larger and I already have it.

Can I mix in organic soil with the cypress mulch for their substrate? I have some sitting around, and the cypress is so expensive.

Thanks everyone.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Yes you can..the mulch will sit on top of the soil..how big is the bookcase? How many torts you have again..keep in mind redfoots are forrest torts . they do not bask..you have to recreate a jungle like setting for them...family dollar has very cheap plants you can use...also how high are the sides of the bookcase? You are going to need to atleast 4in of substrate...below is how you want to set them up right for an indoor pen...once you are back on your feet..

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 16