THE WONDERFUL ADVICE GIVEN TO ME TO TREAT SICK EASTERN BOXIE

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
I had someone ask if I could start a thread on how I treated the eastern box turtle and post before and after pics. Just to let people know. THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE TOLD ME TO DO!!!!! THANK YOU, THEIR GREAT ADVICE HELPED SAVE THIS TURTLES LIFE! First let me explain how I got her, She was between our driveway the road. I am the type of person that will pull over and place turtles on the other side of the road out of harms why. I make sure it's the direction they were headed. When I picked her up I noticed her eye's were very swollen, alittle foamy liquid coming from her mouth and she didn't make the hissing sound they make to release the air when trying to box up. Actually she couldn't close completely up. I'm by no means a turtle expert but knew she was sick. Her eye's were so swollen she could barely crack them and from what I could see they were red, hazy, milky and just couldn't see any eye pigment at all. I thought she was blind. I posted a tread and used everyone's advice.

First you have to make a hospital tank. A bin or fish tank with only moist paper towel and shredded newspaper.

Temp needs to be about 85. I put her in a closet with the heat set a 85, loosely cover the top and mist the sides with water. for me it holds humidity at 80%.

Every morning I soak her For 1 hour in Duramycin(tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder). Add 1/4 teaspoon to every quart of WARM water.

After soaking I take her outside for about an hour and let her roam and get some sun.

She wasn't eating so in mid afternoon I would give her another soak using baby food. I used carrots and sweet potatoes and let her soak in the warm water baby food mix for about 30 minutes.

Before the day ended I'd take her out to roam again for about an hour.

I've been repeating this process for 4 days now and she's doing GREAT.

The day after the first treatment she opened her eye's and you could see the color. They were very sore so she wouldn't keep them open for long and she was always scratching at them. She was very weak and wouldn't move around. In the sick tank she laid there with all fours out to the side and her head laying on the ground :(

Second day eye's were still improving and she could release her air and hide in her shell better, but not completely. Still noticed a little foam from her mouth. moved a little more but not much.

THIRD DAY!!!!! Totally different turtle! Eye's wide open. When I took her outside she roamed the WHOLE hour. She's very active right now.

Fourth day, doing great! I'm gonna let her stay outside longer today. Hopefully she'll eat.

I'm going to continue treatment for at least a couple more days.

First pic is when I found her
second is the day after 1st treatment
third, forth and fifth is after 2 treatments

Attachments

• sick turtle 006.JPG
    sick turtle 006.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 55
  • better 006.JPG
    better 006.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 55
  • perked up 002.JPG
    perked up 002.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 73
  • perked up 003.JPG
    perked up 003.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 65
  • perked up 004.JPG
    perked up 004.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 63

MechanicMatt

5 Year Member
Thats so awesome! that little boxie seems to be doing great under your care! I just LOVE their facial expressions like in that last pic. "I SEEEEEEE YOUUUUU"

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
You must be feeling so great right now! Way to go! Such a beautiful animal, glad it is on it's way back to health.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a difference! You've done a fantastic job, and what beautiful pictures. I'm so glad to finally read a "happy ending" story.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Great job! Thank-you you taking care of this gorgeous boxie!

Status
Not open for further replies.