the chances of the world changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OH man, yeah I seen this when it came out. It really inspired me to start a turtle and tortoise sanctuary.

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
manteca, Ca
i saw it last year and it just recently popped back into my head, i think im going to order it on DVD tonight, ive been reading though that richard has a permanent place for his collection and a few other peoples private collections and they are setting up a breeding program

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Evin ~

No I had not seen that before. Of course our world is changing, but our societal norms are not necessarily positive to the environment that we reside in. I wonder why the writer in NY was said to have his ship sinking..? That would be a shame, as it appears he is an angel for those poor torties over seas..

I may be on this planet, but I am not of this planet, if you get my drift.

Anyways, blessings,
Purpod

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
he began to loose everything so he truely gave everything he had for these animals, he even lived in a tent outside a warehouse where his turtles were being kept while they were building a permanent institute for turtle conservation

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hoooray! Thanx a bunch, Evin! I'm relieved to see that things do appear to be looking up ~ Any future updates would be greatly appreciated!

Purpod

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
no problem, i highley recomend this film

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What came into my mind after seeing this is 'wow this guy is amazing'

I am so happy that people like him exist

Does anyone know where I can get the video, what site?

Thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
This group is doing what it can to save them:

Welcome to American Tortoise Rescue
Please note: After 17 years of rehoming more than 3,000 turtles and tortoise successfully, we will no longer handle adoptions or relinquishments. Please contact the organizations listed below that can help you find a new home or adopt the wonderful animal of your choice.

American Tortoise Rescue will be spending its time now exclusively advocating for turtles and tortoises just as we have in the past but with more fury. We will continue our crusade to stop the issues that affect them throughout the world, including habitat destruction, the live food markets in the US, the looming legislative issue allowing turtles and tortoises under four inches to be sold again after a 33-year ban and the cruel pet trade, among other problems.

We've had a great ride doing adoptions, but we feel that we can be more useful pressuring the bad guys, stopping cruelty and educating everyone about the care and feeding of these wonderful creatures. No other organization has been as aggressive in this particular fight as ATR, so by reducing the thousands of hours it takes to do adoptions, this will allow us even more time. This takes money, so please do not stop your generous donations from coming in. We will continue to house and care for the more than 100 turtles and tortoises who have found sanctuary with us. Bless you,
Susan and Marshall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last I heard, Richard had found other keepers to take all of his animals, and had driven them all over the U.S. to place them. I don't think he has any more money to buy facilities, so I THINK that last link was one that occurred prior to him placing all the animals. I will contact my friend, who knows Richard and was the original builder of all Richard's water turtle habitats, in PA and ask him what he knows about Richard's current status.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Richard Ogust does have a few turtles in a private collection, but nothing like he used to have. That last link showing him standing in front of the big red barn and silos was of the Institute that he lost. That's an old video. My friend says that Richard is working and tending his small private collection, and has no hopes of re-building the Institute in the near future.

Yvonne

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He should come on here and post with us. It was how much he cared about the turtles and how upset he felt when one died that I related to so much. I really feel strongly about what he was tring to do. He worked with a lot of endangered species. I am tring to work with the more common ones that people all over the US like to dump where ever they can. I feel like carrying the torch for the next generation of people who love turtles and tortoises .

I dont know how its going to happen but a place like Richard envisioned in that movie will be opened one day. And I will be a part of it.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Why in the world would you oppose the lifting of the 4" rule? It was a stupid rule to start with and is even more so now. Almost 40% of the chicken sold in grocery stores tests positive for salmonella. And this is your food we are talking about. I don't want to see baby turtles in Walgreens again for 75 cents, but really a 4" ban. If anything it is more likely that a turtle over 4" has salmonella than one under 4" if you think about it. Simply more time to contract the disease. How about just encouraging more responsible ownership? Douglas

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Laura said:
This group is doing what it can to save them:

Welcome to American Tortoise Rescue
Please note: After 17 years of rehoming more than 3,000 turtles and tortoise successfully, we will no longer handle adoptions or relinquishments. Please contact the organizations listed below that can help you find a new home or adopt the wonderful animal of your choice.

American Tortoise Rescue will be spending its time now exclusively advocating for turtles and tortoises just as we have in the past but with more fury. We will continue our crusade to stop the issues that affect them throughout the world, including habitat destruction, the live food markets in the US, the looming legislative issue allowing turtles and tortoises under four inches to be sold again after a 33-year ban and the cruel pet trade, among other problems.

We've had a great ride doing adoptions, but we feel that we can be more useful pressuring the bad guys, stopping cruelty and educating everyone about the care and feeding of these wonderful creatures. No other organization has been as aggressive in this particular fight as ATR, so by reducing the thousands of hours it takes to do adoptions, this will allow us even more time. This takes money, so please do not stop your generous donations from coming in. We will continue to house and care for the more than 100 turtles and tortoises who have found sanctuary with us. Bless you,
Susan and Marshall.

Laura,

I remember Susan and Marshall used to be in Malibu and had a lot of sulcatas, these are good people who love tortoises and turtles. My hat goes off to them for what they are trying to do more for these great reptiles.

Minh

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Isa said:
What came into my mind after seeing this is 'wow this guy is amazing'

I am so happy that people like him exist

Does anyone know where I can get the video, what site?

Thanks

If you subscribe to Netflix, you can "watch it now". The video is called The Chances of the World Changing. If you want to see the PBS site, where you can purchase the video the link is http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2007/chancesoftheworld/index.html

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
you can find it on amazon a little bit cheaper i believe

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
thats what emysemys said a few posts back that he rehomed most of them