1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

The CAUSE of Pyramiding

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Markw84, Jul 6, 2016.

1. bouaboua

bouaboua Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    It looks we are starving them but not really. We been practicing this feeding schedule for over an year now, they still grow, we see growth line on their plastron, they became more active, maybe they are out looking for food? And we do see the pyramiding ease off.
    Anyfoot likes this.
  2. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I totally agree with this theory of how keratin grows. It's basically a ratio of humidity versus growth.

Mark I would appreciate your thoughts on protein too.
    We hear often some say it's lack of humidity that causes pyramiding, there are still long time carers/breeders who still say it's diet. There is something that is sticking in my mind and won't go away, Yvonne and Tom don't understand how they grow smooth torts in Arizona (think it was Arizona anyway)where it's dry. I'm starting to think it can be both humidity/hydration and/or diet (protein intake)
    Keratin is protein based. If I fed my tortoise rich foods that did not contain protein at all(yes there would be other health issues but let's forget about that for now) my tortoise would grow but not be capable of growing new keratin to fill in the newest crevices from the scute plates moving apart.
    This would also give same results as dry keratin not being able to fill in the crevices.
    If this theory has some merit, it means you can keep a tort as hydrated/humid as you want but with no protein it can pyramid. Don't forget there is protein in animal and foliage.
    If both humidity/hydration and protein (diet) all take part in the getting a perfect wild look this would explain why when we see an adult wild caught tort in captivity the new growth is lower down, it's as though the new keratin is not as thick. I'm thinking it's because the diet has changed from when it was caught.(less protein). This could also explain why even within the same clutch we see slightly different degrees of pyramiding (from none to very very mild pyramiding). Because some hatchlings didn't get the correct ratio of protein to growth rate even though they were kept humid/hydrated.
    Next clutch I get are getting fed only one type of food per day, they will get the mixed diet over a week or two. This way each tort will have its fill on exactly the same foods.
  3. cdmay

cdmay Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Anyfoot, could you post more photos of this big male in the red-foot forum?
    Thanks!
  4. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Will do. It's a female Carl.
  5. cdmay

cdmay Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

OK great. Don't know why I assumed it was a male...
  6. maggie3fan

maggie3fan Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Media:
    Albums:
    They should be fed daily, wild blooms and weeds, leafs. If they were in the wild they'd eat daily. I used to have a 3-legged Gopherus agassizii, she'd catch bluebelly's off the fence and eat'em
  7. Crazy Tortoise

Crazy Tortoise Member

Lol Toms probably pissed XD