Testudo kleinmanni? Testudo werneri?

JerryBerry

Hello everyone!
It's my first post ever in this group :) I hope I could find some help :)
So my family came by these two tortoises. According to as much research as I could muster, they're T. kleinmannis, but T. werneri seem to be very similar as well, so I'm not sure which one they are. The larger female is Nina, and we've had her for the past three years or so. The smaller male is Jerry, and we got him today. The female was given to us for free, the male we bought for €50. The ages of either are a complete mystery, as are their origins. Our best guess is that they were brought here in the 80's when workers used to travel to Libya and back, and they would get tortoises with them through less-than-vigilant security. Whenever we asked their previous owners where they came from, all I got were answers like "oh it's a long story" or "oh nobody knows". If they are a rare species, I'd love to register them locally and try my best to breed them. I hope the photos are clear.

Female: 127mm carapace length, 404grams in weight
Male: 95mm long, 186g in weight.

Thanks in advance :)

IMG_5338.JPG IMG_5339.JPG IMG_5340.JPG IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5337.JPG

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Welcome.

Werneri is invalid in taxonomy right now as are many once proposed subspecies particularly within the Testudo genus i.e. T. g. whitei, T. weissingeri & T. h. hercegovinensis. If anything it would be regarded as a geographical variant but like almost anything in the Chelonian world, this warrants much more research first.

Many Testudo kleinmanni lose the chevrons on the plastron from simple wear and tear and lose much of the dark pigment of the carapace from age, so it's very possible that this is what they are. I have several in my collection that look as though they are T. werneri but I know they are kleinmanni. Unfortunately there's simply no way to know for sure unless you knew exactly where they or their parents were collected.

Hope this helps.

JerryBerry

Thank you all for your warm welcomes and replies. Thanks @HermanniChris for your reply, I guess they're T. Kleinmanni then :) what resources for info do you suggest regarding breeding? I've seen a few inconsistencies across the web and I want to do things properly :p