Terracotta Water Dish

rpm23

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My terracotta dish seeps water constantly. We refill it about 7 times a day. How is this so widely recommended? Any other suggestions for heavy shallow non toxic water dish?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My terracotta dish seeps water constantly. We refill it about 7 times a day. How is this so widely recommended? Any other suggestions for heavy shallow non toxic water dish?
It's not really a common situation. All 4-5 terracotta saucers, that I have, keep water for days. You may use suitable plastic food dishes, just put some pebbles inside to add some weight and traction.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can look for ones that are glazed either inside or outside, adding stones so it's easy to get out of if glazed inside.
There are also plastic ones.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use a plastic plant base for water and terracotta for food. They must be able to walk in and sit in them. I add stones on edge to aid ingress and egress. But depends on size of tort. I also found a low rock helps to wedge lip of water dish to avoid tipping/ flipping over.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have bought dozens of them over the years. Literally. Probably over 100 of them by this point. I have had 4 of them that were seepers and two that had little cracks that were almost imperceptible. The other 94+ hold water just fine.

This is why I always tell people to buy at least four of them. Two for food and two for water. I like to rotate through them daily so that they get washed and can sun dry. On the rare occasion that I get another seeper, I put a big "F" on the bottom of that one and just use it for food. Its also good to have extras because invariably, you will drop on on Christmas Eve, and the stores will be closed for two days, and then when you finally get to the store, they will be out of the size you need and the hapless employee will have no idea when more are coming, and then you have to drive to another store, or start calling rod looking for them. Ask me how I know this...

rpm23

Texas
I wonder if there is a slight crack in it. I had that happen with one once...

Also not sure how big your tort is, but I use this for my male Russian and it is a good size for him: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1QZIC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

it comes in various sizes/lengths
He's little...a baby Hermann's maybe about 3 inches. I'll definitely keep that one in mind when we build an large outdoor enclosure for him.

Bear2023

USA Oklahoma
I just use a Tupperware container, and add pebbles to the bottom to make it more shallow.