Tequila Sunrise-The Russian Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear929

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tequila.jpgHere is a pic of Tequila Sunrise, one of my Russian Torts. She is just burying herself and basking in the light!
I noticed when I bought her, her shell was pretty damaged, but she was VERY active at the pet store. It is also the most repubitable pet store in the area. I am unsure if she is just shedding her shell or what. Although, I have never seen a tortoise shed their shell this much at one time. She does not seem to be in pain and eats like crazy!
I can attempt to get a better picture of just her shell, as this picture does not do justice, this is just a cute picture :)

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
That was shell rot. Some of the dead bone is gone and some of the dead bone is still there. It doesn't look like any of it is active.

Danny

poohbear929

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for letting me know! I have never seen shell rot on a tortoise, so I guess that is why I did not know what is was. Is there anything I need to do for her now? I want to make sure she is ok. Will the dead bone eventully go away when she grows?

Just a side note, her shell is very hard, not soft, but some of it has flaked off since I have had her.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It won't come off as she grows it will come off when it heals underneath and gets loose. The scute material over any dead bone will eventually peel off as there is new scute material formed under the dead bone.
Just keep an eye on the spots, if any of the spots have or get red edges than you know the shell rot is active. Also it may smell.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Little russian tortoises are kept in horrible conditions after they are captured. Quite a few of them look like yours by the time they get to the pet shop. Keep him clean to ensure the rot doesn't flare up again. He'll never look "perfect" but he can live a long and healthy life.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.