Temperature trouble

Bethanrs

Location (City and/or State)
Wales uk
Hello, currently where we live it’s 31degrees Celsius in our home. With sheldons heat lamp on at the highest setting it’s still reading at 29 which I know is too high for him. On these really hot days should I turn his heat bulb off completely ? Or does he need the light from it too? He has a separate uv tube

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How old is your tortoise and what species do you have?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, currently where we live it’s 31degrees Celsius in our home. With sheldons heat lamp on at the highest setting it’s still reading at 29 which I know is too high for him. On these really hot days should I turn his heat bulb off completely ? Or does he need the light from it too? He has a separate uv tube
31 or 29 is NOT too hot. That is just barely getting comfortable. Where they come from it gets 45C! Ambient temp in the enclosure should be warming up to 30C every day all year. It still needs to be roughly 36-37C directly under the heat lamp area. Check this by laying a digital thermometer on its back and letting it bake under the hot light. Adjust the fixture up or down to get the correct temperature under the basking lamp.