Temp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So just to be sure before my little guy gets here (anywhere from 8:30-Noon (almost here!)).

Most sights i've read have said Low 90's for basking. Is there a difference for hatchlings though? He's a 4-5 month old Leopard.

I mean, should they be a little higher for him? or stick to the 89-94 ish temps for basking spot?

I have 2 bulbs I got, with different wattages, just to be sure in case something happens etc.

75w: Stays around 90-93 (usually right on 92). I'm using this for now (he isn't here yet :p)

100w: Stays around 94-98 (May be too hot). But I wasn't sure if he needed the extra boost being younger.

Cool side is ~75-80 depending on time of day etc, but never ever goes above 80. I'll have pics of the enclosure soon.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Put the light at one end and shoot for somewhere around 85-90 degrees. If he gets too hot, he will move to the cool side, which can be kept at whatever room temp you use. The temps are not super critical, but don't go very low (60 degrees) or cook him (100 degrees). They are smart enough to reguate their own temps inside by moving around throughout the day.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You should be able to adjust the temperature more with a certain bulb....what kind of setup/stand do you have? You should be able to stick with one wattage and move it up or down to change the temperature. You will have to adjust the bulb over the course of the year as the ambient temperature in your house changes.

Hatchlings tend to like it on the high side of what the temps are listed as for adults (most care sheets are for adults). I'd say have a hot spot between 95-100 and if the tort wants it cooler they will be off to one side. You can also observe the behavior and change things accordingly.

I'd be worried about your lighting setup though if you temperatures aren't more adjustable. What bulbs and fixtures are you using?

The cool side in my opinion needs to be no higher than 80 (and no lower than 70 in winter). If you cannot keep a spot 80 or less than you need a larger enclosure or different heat/light setup. The tort needs to be able to cool down. When we get a huge heatwave here a few times a summer I will actually take out my tort's regular light and replace it with a regular house bulb, or turn it off, to make sure he has a spot to cool down in. I will turn it back on after an hour or two. I notice his behavior change when it's too warm or cool for his liking. Just something to keep in mind if your temperatures increase more this summer.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
You should be able to adjust the temperature more with a certain bulb....what kind of setup/stand do you have? You should be able to stick with one wattage and move it up or down to change the temperature. You will have to adjust the bulb over the course of the year as the ambient temperature in your house changes.

Hatchlings tend to like it on the high side of what the temps are listed as for adults (most care sheets are for adults). I'd say have a hot spot between 95-100 and if the tort wants it cooler they will be off to one side. You can also observe the behavior and change things accordingly.

I'd be worried about your lighting setup though if you temperatures aren't more adjustable. What bulbs and fixtures are you using?

The cool side in my opinion needs to be no higher than 80 (and no lower than 70 in winter). If you cannot keep a spot 80 or less than you need a larger enclosure or different heat/light setup. The tort needs to be able to cool down. When we get a huge heatwave here a few times a summer I will actually take out my tort's regular light and replace it with a regular house bulb, or turn it off, to make sure he has a spot to cool down in. I will turn it back on after an hour or two. I notice his behavior change when it's too warm or cool for his liking. Just something to keep in mind if your temperatures increase more this summer.

I wasn't asking how to adjust the heat. I was merely asking if Hatchlings should have higher temps than Juvies/Adults, I read it somewhere, but I wanted opinions.

I keep my herp rooms at a temp gradiant of 70-80 year round. It doesn't change. In the summer it never gets hotter than 80 in my house even in our rare heat waves. The house is very well insulated. And it never drops below 70. It's usually at about 73-77.

Today with the room temp at ~77 the basking spot was about 92. So if it goes up to 80, it MIGHT reach 95. Which is still fine for leopards. And this is directly in the middle of where the heat hits. He has basked in all different spots today.

I am not new to herps in terms of light/heating except for tortoises. More specifically if hatchlings require higher temps than Juvies/Adults. I check my basilisks heat everyday and it's always around the same temperature. This is for 3 years, no issues. In their case it varies from 92-98 depending if the room temp is slightly cooler or warmer.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Rob sounds like your temps are fine. anywhere between 90-100 would be good. Mine was actually at 100-105 on some days, i was useing a mvb which get very hot. They still did fine with that 100-105 hot spot. It got cooler around the enclosure going to the 70s on the cooler end. They would just choose where they wanted to be, so even if you have the hottest part of the basking part at the hotter end of the spectrum as long as you have a big gradient you would be good to go. leopards are pretty forgiving tortoises and hardy. just keep them hydrated at that young of an age.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sorry I misunderstood your question and experience. I agree that hatchlings like it a few degrees warmer than adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.