Temp And Survival Russian tortoise

ok so my mom told me that I can only keep him light on for 3 hours a day and I know that's not enough for a Russian tort. Will he be ok? I don't want to give him up. I can only keep it on for 12 hours on weekend. I can't give him up. Will he be ok? Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where are you located and what are your house temps day and night?
If it does get too cold, and she won't let you keep heat on at night, does she realize that's animal abuse and neglect?
If it doesn't get below 60 he should be fine, but he has to be able to warm up under a 95-100 degree UVB bulb in order to digest it's food properly.
What's her reason for only 3 hours?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, if her reason is cost. Use the bulb during the day a and a che for night time heat. They are cheaper to run. But, like I said, if your house doesn't drop be 60 day or night and he can warm up during the day, all should be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your mother needs to understand that a cold blooded tortoise needs an external heat source to keep his inner core temperature up to around 80F in order to be able to digest his food. If he isn't warm enough, he either stops eating and dies, or he eats and the food rots inside him because he can't digest it and he dies. Is that what she wants (a dead tortoise)?

I made it seem like she was a bad mom which she isn't, its only going to be like that temporarily. My moms worried that it will start a fire if I'm not home and it's on ya know? But it doesn't get below 65 so he should be ok. When I get home from school, his light goes on and when I go to sleep his night light will come in. But she's not A bad Mom in fact she's a great one.

My Tort has a good life. He gets fed twice a day, soaked 4 days a week and gets a variety of food and walks. Just letting you know he's ok. He's also very active and has quite the character.