Switching Substrate

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have been using repti bark for my Hermanns tortoise for the past few months. I was wondering what you guys suggest using? I am looking to change up the substrate and was wondering what the best type of substrate would be good for a Hermanns tortoise that is only a few months old?

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
I only use a mix of sand and soil for the adult as well as the hatchlings. I like to have as simular as in nature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use orchid bark, the smaller particles.

von345

My tort loves the mix of cypress mulch mixed with some organic top sail. It hold moisture in, I can plan weeds and things for him to eat on. I just found the reprtibatk was to hard and not to stable to walk on

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Repti-bark, which is really just re-packaged and much more expensive fine grade orchid bark, aka fir bark, is the best substrate for them in my experience. Why do you want to switch to something else?

Sand should never be used, even as part of a mix, as it poses a serious impaction risk, and its a possible skin and eye irritant. I dispute how "natural" it is as well, because while their may be areas in the wild with sandy soil, those areas are covered in plants and they don't live on the sandy areas 24/7.

Store bought soil in a bag should not be used because there is no way to know what it is made of. It is composted yard waste. It could be composted oleander, or chemically treated grass clippings. No way to know.

Cypress mulch is ok, but I have found it to be dirty and smelly. It requires a lot of rinsing and cleaning before use.

Coco coir is good for baby Testudo, but I find it too messy for older, larger tortoises.