Switching housing during day

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hi! New Russian owner. Little Max is still a baby, under 1 we think. We've got him in a well ventilated, visually barriered terrarium which we intend to upsize in a year or 2 as he grows (and he will live outside when it's summer). But for fun during the day I got a very long wide Rubbermaid and made sort of a playpen for him with substrate, hides, heat and uva/uvb and coming soon some live edibles.

Today he ate like a pig twice, had a soak, pooped, and tried out is playpen for the first time and made lots of miles. Then at around 11:30 this morning (gets up around 6:30 to7:00 ish in the morning I think) he burrowed into the corner of his playpen and went for what we thought was a nap. However now at 6:00 pm he's still out. Don't have the right set up in the playpen for night so I carefully unearthed him and brought him back to his terrarium. HE DIDNT EVEN WAKE UP. When I checked him again he'd readjusted, so he's ok.

Is this amount of sleep normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He may have tuck in because it wasn't warm enough? Also could be because he is not used to them we play pen. Most torts get a little stressed being moved to a new place. What would be really nice for him, is to connect the two enclosures together, giving him a bigger space to live and then he would also get used to it. Although they are small, russians in the wild cover a lot of ground.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
His basking area was hitting around 93 and at the furthest points away from that he was at low 80s/high 70s. Is this ok for him? Even prior to trying out the bigger pen he was putting himself to bed rather early. I don't get the sense that he is stressed, but I'm so new to this I don't know. He's quite active and I'm completely shocked at how responsive he is to me. Seems like when he's in the terrarium and I talk to him he motors over to me. Is that possible?!
Also, given the stressing when moved to a new place, is it a bad idea to do a little closely supervised house roaming?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even prior to trying out the bigger pen he was putting himself to bed rather early. I don't get the sense that he is stressed, but I'm so new to this I don't know.

That is normal this time of year.

Being moved to a new area is stressful, but he will get used to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's quite active and I'm completely shocked at how responsive he is to me. Seems like when he's in the terrarium and I talk to him he motors over to me. Is that possible?!

Yes it is, and its quite normal too. That's one of the things that is so appealing about russians.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, given the stressing when moved to a new place, is it a bad idea to do a little closely supervised house roaming?

Very bad idea. I and several others here have been advising against this practice for years. Just a few days ago we had a member who accidentally killed her tortoise while it was roaming the house. Leave your tortoise in its enclosures. Just make the enclosures plenty big and interesting.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
:tort:Welcome to the forum.Would love to see some photos of your tort. Good luck.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
He may have tuck in because it wasn't warm enough? Also could be because he is not used to them we play pen. Most torts get a little stressed being moved to a new place. What would be really nice for him, is to connect the two enclosures together, giving him a bigger space to live and then he would also get used to it. Although they are small, russians in the wild cover a lot of ground.

Thank you so much for the connecting idea! I think I've come up with a ramp idea that will work (in theory anyway ).