Swimming and floating tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

AldabraNerd

5 Year Member
Hi All,

There are some questions and thoughts scattered through this thread about tortoises and swimming/floating. I thought I'd add a bit of info here in one place, where it can expanded on by others.

So yes, many tortoises float very well. That's how they ended up on isolated oceanic islands pretty much around the world. The two largest surviving tortoise species, Galapagos & Aldabra giants, float exceptionally well and can survive for a long time in sea water.

One amazing case was reported in a paper by Gerlach & coauthors, in 2006.
The abstract reads:
v58lme.jpg

The single most amazing part of this paper is the photo of the tortoise, covered in barnacles on the lower half:
wc0rc6.jpg

The size of the barnacles indicates that this tortoise had been drifting for a minimum of 6-7 weeks!

According to prevailing ocean currents, the Aldabra Atoll is indeed the likely point of origin of this tortoise. I'll post a bit more on Aldabrans there, and their relationship with water, soon - just got to dig out them photos first :tort:

-----
Edit: The Gerlach 2006 paper is attached to this post.

Attachments

• Gerlach et al 2006 Tortoise Oceanic Dispersal.pdf
    302.2 KB · Views: 4,767

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
I knew it :p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, that settles that...tortoises swim.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't stand it!!! I want to grab the tweezers and pick all those barnacles off.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
emysemys said:
I can't stand it!!! I want to grab the tweezers and pick all those barnacles off.

Haha I know yvonne. My ocd is kicking in...must.........remove. Fascinating story though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. Never seen that before. I've heard of a few hours or days in the water to get from one island to another, but wow, that's pretty incredible.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Awesome photo and information.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Woah! That is SO cool! Thanks for sharing, I never knew that!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is really amazing. I would have thought he would get totally dehydrated, the salt water and all. So, my question is, can they or have they adapted to be able to drink salt water and large amounts don't effect them? Do you think that he did t drink any but only absorb it and that doesn't effect them. Possibly, they can absorb salt water? That's a long time floating at sea. Thanks for sharing so, interesting.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Man, I've got my own theory on how this tort got those barnacles. During his swim, there was a rock protruding out on the middle of the ocean and he took a long long break before starting out again. Or else, he met a whale out there and bumped a ride. The whale and the tort shared the barnacles. How about that for a story? Isn't that incredible?

AldabraNerd

5 Year Member
wellington said:
That is really amazing. I would have thought he would get totally dehydrated, the salt water and all. So, my question is, can they or have they adapted to be able to drink salt water and large amounts don't effect them? Do you think that he did t drink any but only absorb it and that doesn't effect them. Possibly, they can absorb salt water? That's a long time floating at sea. Thanks for sharing so, interesting.

I don't think/know of that tortoises can drink salt water. I'd think not, but simply that it lived off its internal reserves (which they can do for months). Probably it even used/lost less water by floating in the sea, than it would have in the dry & hot environs on Aldabra?

sibi said:
Man, I've got my own theory on how this tort got those barnacles. During his swim, there was a rock protruding out on the middle of the ocean and he took a long long break before starting out again. Or else, he met a whale out there and bumped a ride. The whale and the tort shared the barnacles. How about that for a story? Isn't that incredible?

Yes, and out there, somewhere, is now a hybrid tortoise-whale creature swimming around, wondering where & who his parents are! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.