Summer preparations-Tips VERY welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are the walls going to be tall enough once you get the substrate in there? I love your idea.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Are the walls going to be tall enough once you get the substrate in there? I love your idea.
Yeah, we are going to make them taller. :)
Not sure how tall to go though as I have to put mesh over the top. How tall are your sides?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of my habitats are outside in regular yards with fences. I use three corral boards horizontally and they're 5.5" wide, so the fence ends up being about 16.5 inches tall.

DPtortiose

My dad was sorting the garden and said that he wanted to do something with the large planting area. I suggested a tortoise enclosure but the trouble is, there is wisteria, a pine tree and ivy surrounding it, all of which I think are poisonous. -_-

On a side note, tortoise tend to know what's poisonous pretty well on their own. While it certainly not recommended to grow poisonous plants inside an enclosure, most animals simply don't eat dangerous plants. Plants high in certain toxins often taste pretty horrible as well, serving as a defensive mechanism against predation. Although wild tortoises do seem to consume toxic plants without any (apparent) ill effects.

Drainage of the soil, orientation towards the sun and the sun hours would be more important to me. But your current solution looks like a great idea.

You could also take a look at this site: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp Which also has a large section about 'normal' garden plants and shrubs. There are a great deal of plants that are very attractive in the garden and make a nice addition to your tortoise diet. I would recommend letting the plants settle and grow for a few months though, this will give the plant a better chance to survive the ‘harvest' and give pesticides a chance to 'wash off'.

If you're living with avid gardeners you'll most likely get an evil eye once in a while when you start to harvest. ;) But it is great fun to watch plants grow and bloom thank to your effort. Of course, you’ll most likely see them ripped to pieces, stomped into the ground or in small poops a cross the enclosure a few days later as well. But a happy tortoise as well.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
We've decided to put a very fine mesh like this on the bottom:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457983143.561490.jpg
Then waterproof the planks of wood. This is so there is enough drainage. :)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
As for substrate, I was thinking of using peat.
Is this ok or are there any better options?
Sorry about all of the questions, I really appreciate the help :D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
As for substrate, I was thinking of using peat.
Is this ok or are there any better options?
Sorry about all of the questions, I really appreciate the help :D
Depending on how deep it will be , you might want to go with something bigger like pathway bark underneath ? That might also help with drainage ? and then a layer of peat over that ! :)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Depending on how deep it will be , you might want to go with something bigger like pathway bark underneath ? That might also help with drainage ? and then a layer of peat over that ! :)
Yeah, that sounds good!
I'm trying to put the least amount as I can in as it needs to be light enough to move haha. :)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Now the hard part... Picking out a colour to paint it. I really can't choose!

What colour do you guys think? :)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Now the hard part... Picking out a colour to paint it. I really can't choose!

What colour do you guys think? :)
Im having trouble with picking out a paint color for my new i door enclosure too. I was thinking a brownish color.. But what about bright colors ? And can any paint be used since we will be water proofing the wood also?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Im having trouble with picking out a paint color for my new i door enclosure too. I was thinking a brownish color.. But what about bright colors ? And can any paint be used since we will be water proofing the wood also?
I think any paint can be used. I'm not sure though.
It's so hard picking a colour o_O
I was thinking light grey or dark green. I really don't know though :D