Sulcatta trashing his home in ALABAMA

ROVERDOSE

Location (City and/or State)
AL
My sulcatta wants outside! It is a great day here in Alabama,very sunny but weather is only 58! Help...can he grout for a few hours and find some peace!

ROVERDOSE

AL
My sulcatta wants outside! It is a great day here in Alabama,very sunny but weather is only 58! Help...can he grout for a few hours and find some peace!
Any one have suggestions - can he rout for a few hours? He is 7 years old - good health???

zovick

10 Year Member!
If it were my tortoise, I would let it outside today (I live near Atlanta and it is 58 here also). The reason is that there is bright sun here today and the tortoise will be able to control his temp by staying in the sun or getting out of it as it feels the need. FYI, I raised 4 sulcatas in CO and CT where it was much colder than here, and I even let them out occasionally on sunny days when temps were in the high 40's

If you see the tortoise sitting in the shade for very long, check that it hasn't become too cold and stopped its activity for the day. If that is the case, bring it inside again and let it warm up gradually. IE, don't stick it in warm water as soon as you bring it indoors. Just put it in its enclosure and let it seek its basking spot as it warms up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would let him out too, except he needs a heated hide/night box/ shed to go into on his own when he gets to cold.
If you don't have that available then don't leave him out long,1-2 hours and get busy building the heated box I mentioned. Most members let their torts have the choice to go out every day. That's because they have the heated box/hide/shed for the tort to choose to stay in or choose to go out, but can always get back into their heated house.

ROVERDOSE

AL
I spent $3000 on a very nice heated home for him...very nice - however the STUPID contractors messed it up and I can not lift the lid to clean it. Some is coming to fix it soon. The he will have a choice. Yes - I had another home that was made by the guy that - another contractor that gave me a Sulcatta and it already fell apart. Moral is contractor in ALBAMA SUX... Thank you all. He will go out tomorrow - it will be 64 most of the day!

ROVERDOSE

AL
I would let him out too, except he needs a heated hide/night box/ shed to go into on his own when he gets to cold.
If you don't have that available then don't leave him out long,1-2 hours and get busy building the heated box I mentioned. Most members let their torts have the choice to go out every day. That's because they have the heated box/hide/shed for the tort to choose to stay in or choose to go out, but can always get back into their heated house.
Thank you! His heated home is getting fixed - see my comment below.

ROVERDOSE

AL
If it were my tortoise, I would let it outside today (I live near Atlanta and it is 58 here also). The reason is that there is bright sun here today and the tortoise will be able to control his temp by staying in the sun or getting out of it as it feels the need. FYI, I raised 4 sulcatas in CO and CT where it was much colder than here, and I even let them out occasionally on sunny days when temps were in the high 40's

If you see the tortoise sitting in the shade for very long, check that it hasn't become too cold and stopped its activity for the day. If that is the case, bring it inside again and let it warm up gradually. IE, don't stick it in warm water as soon as you bring it indoors. Just put it in its enclosure and let it seek its basking spot as it warms up.
Thank you!